Baker's Fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blimey 4 - 6 kg in a single hive - that's a bit/lot over the top. On top of the frames with the cluster immediately below and it'll soften and go everywhere.

Have you had that happen?

Blimey 4 - 6 kg in a single hive - that's a bit/lot over the top. On top of the frames with the cluster immediately below and it'll soften and go everywhere. 1 kg or half one pack at a time is quite enough. Then check every few days - but a very quick look.

4-6Kg of fondant is only 4-6Kg of sugar. Most of my hives take between 12-18Kg (a couple quite a bit more!) of sugar in syrup and fondant form over the winter.

I prefer bigger slabs. If the fondant has seeped, so far, it has seeped very little. certainly not gone everywhere!

I would rather give too much than too little. In spring, if they still have stores, I remove any excess and give them foundation. The excess is then used in NUC's or caught swarms later in the year....

Less disturbance for them, less heat loss for them, less risk through chilling for them, less work for me, less stress for me worrying whether they have enough. If you can think of negatives, i'd be happy to hear them.

do u heat it up to 240 ? or which heat for bakers fondant ? jw as iv done some its see thrue and really sticky does that matter dnt waner put it in and finde all bees stuck to it xd :)

do u heat it up to 240 ? or which heat for bakers fondant ? jw as iv done some its see thrue and really sticky does that matter dnt waner put it in and finde all bees stuck to it xd :)

Do you mean you've just made some Kristin? Or are you talking about ready made?
If you made some last night, you have to keep stirring it and working it as it cools down, then it will go white and solid. If you made some and left it in the pan it may well still be syrup and very sticky. No use like that at all. Send me a pm if you need more help.

Frisbee

Do you mean you've just made some Kristin? Or are you talking about ready made?
If you made some last night, you have to keep stirring it and working it as it cools down, then it will go white and solid. If you made some and left it in the pan it may well still be syrup and very sticky. No use like that at all. Send me a pm if you need more help.

Frisbee

wahooooo got it :) xd first time it come out ok without doing that 2nd and 3rd didnt lol think i mut of stired it for longer xd and found ow queen to day wich was good dont no how we missed her so many times if im honest but now shes marked :)how r all ur bees ? or havent you had time to check latly ?

wahooooo got it :) xd first time it come out ok without doing that 2nd and 3rd didnt lol think i mut of stired it for longer xd and found ow queen to day wich was good dont no how we missed her so many times if im honest but now shes marked :)how r all ur bees ? or havent you had time to check latly ?

Bees are best left alone this time of year, apart from a 1 minute lift of the crown board for Oxalic treatment Christmas time I won't even be thinking of inspecting until probable the end of March

not wanting to be rude, but is english your first language?

way too cold to start inspecting. wait until the weather is > 15 degrees C

Great...well done.

I haven't even thought about looking at mine yet. It's really much too cold to be opening up and disturbing them as they lose a lot of heat.

Frisbee

Latest posts

Back