Baker's Fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am running short of fondant a ... I looked up cake companies and phoned the nearest one to me, and they are delighted to order some white fondant for me from Bako.

It truly was that easy.

Me too.

I phoned a few local bakers, one wanted over £18 for 12.5 kilos another wanted £15. I ordered from the one that would order some in for me, and charged £12.50 for 12.5 kilos. The box says Kluman and Balter (from Essex)http://www.klumanandbalter.com/index.html

Hi folks
I'm fairly new to bee-keeping and would appreciate some advice on feeding fondant to my bees.
I captured a swarm last June and have fed them all summer and autumn on sugar syrup. They stopped taking the syrup in late October and have been fairly active until the recent cold snap.
I just want to make sure they have enough stores without letting in the cold too much.
Does the fondant go on top of the super that I fitted last June, or does it go on top of the brood frames with some super frames removed ?
What do you guys do?
Many thanks
John

if you had a FULL brood and a half at the end of october you SHOULD be fine until spring.

please tell us you don't have a QE between brood and super.

BTW if you only got the swarm in June did anyone tell you to put the super on then? You're not going to harvest any honey whilst feeding continuously and bees always do better working in less space when building up.

Last edited:
Hey Dr Stitson

as a newb, would be greatful if you could expand on some of the points in your post :

why would you not want to have a QE between the brood chamber and the super ? is it that you'd always expect the brood chamber to be too small and the super prevents a swarm ?

why would you not get honey if feeding ?

apols if I've just misread what you've put

many thanks

D

If there is a QE on over winter then the queen gets left behind when the bees move into the super for the food. She will die.
Eo

Oh no!!!

Yes, I did leave the QE in place between the brood box and the super.
I had thought the workers would feed her from the stores in the super.

What, if anything, should I do now, or is it too late ??

silverman - as per the above - (but hopefully not a problem now it's mild) - cluster moves to food; QE means queen can't.
likewise, once brood rearing starts in late winter lack of free ranging for the queen means that cluster protects brood in cold spell and may starve in sight of food in super.

re honey crop and feeding syrup - think about it!!!!! what do bees do with nectar and syrup and what do you harvest.

You would get some "honey" out and perhaps you might enjoy the taste BUT trading standards wouldn't take kindly to the product being sold as honey.

Just collected 12.5kg of bako's fondant from local biscuit producer was more than happy to order it for me on his order - total cost £11.75. I know i'm thinking way ahead but id rather get it now so im not having to worry about finding some short notice. Got to work out how to store it had a read through the thread so hopefully got an idea now =)

Lol had a moan at bookers for not stocking fondant and they came back with:

"Many thanks for your email regarding 12.5kg Fondant. I have spoken with our head office buyers and forwarded on you original email, they are looking into suppliers and costing. I will get back to you as soon as I hear anything off them."

Lol had a moan at bookers for not stocking fondant and they came back with:

"Many thanks for your email regarding 12.5kg Fondant. I have spoken with our head office buyers and forwarded on you original email, they are looking into suppliers and costing. I will get back to you as soon as I hear anything off them."

Brilliant, I for one hope they come back with a good price and stock it,
Maybe more of us should have a moan at Bookers, well I am an expert at moaning or so I've heard!
S

Emailed Booker about fondant - didn't get a reply.

Made a batch of fondant using the recipe on this thread - quick and easy.
I've only got one hive at the moment so I think I'll just make my own fondant for the time being.

Thanks for the recipe, easy to follow instructions and the video :)

"I've only got one hive at the moment so I think I'll just make my own fondant for the time being."

obviously depending on what stores the bees went into winter with then they may not need fondant or you can give them the odd kilo of DIY to reassure yourself more than anything

BUT

If bees are in actual need of feeding a proper chunk of fondant on the top bars is the way to go - 4-6kg (ie third to half a box). The rest of the box will keep til next winter.

Thanks for the advice. It is very difficult to know what to do and I appreciate any helpful suggestions :)

I've made my fondant as per instructions on here, just wondered how people are storing it.
I managed to get most of it into small plastic containers but the rest i put in tinfoil takeaway type containers, but it occurs to me that these will not be air tight??
Is a trip to the shops in order, or freezer, or. . . . . .??

wrap in clingfilm, avoid letting air get to it, as it will attract moisture and you'll end up with a sticky mess.
lesson learnt whilst storing fondant on the floor under the hallway cabinet (voice of experience)

"I've only got one hive at the moment so I think I'll just make my own fondant for the time being."

BUT
If bees are in actual need of feeding a proper chunk of fondant on the top bars is the way to go - 4-6kg (ie third to half a box). The rest of the box will keep til next winter.

Blimey 4 - 6 kg in a single hive - that's a bit/lot over the top. On top of the frames with the cluster immediately below and it'll soften and go everywhere. 1 kg or half one pack at a time is quite enough. Then check every few days - but a very quick look.

Fondant

Emailed Booker about fondant - didn't get a reply.

Made a batch of fondant using the recipe on this thread - quick and easy.
I've only got one hive at the moment so I think I'll just make my own fondant for the time being.

Thanks for the recipe, easy to follow instructions and the video :)

I emailed Bookers also they replyed back saying more or less get stuffed, We dont stock it ! since then i'm making other arangements for obtaining fondant.

Dave W

I emailed Bookers also they replyed back saying more or less get stuffed, We dont stock it ! since then i'm making other arangements for obtaining fondant.

Dave W

Try Bako - they're pretty helpful - would be handy to know where you are - someone on here may be able to help

Latest posts

Back