Bad Weather coming for the South of England

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A shoe box lol...not quite.

Last year my largest colony was truly massive and were on 14*12 plus 3 or maybe 4 supers in mid Oct

I wanted to reduce them for winter but the supers were for sitting space.
I went ahead anyway as I was getting worried down to deep brood and single super.

Big mistake bees everywhere and pretty angry. A few days later they swarmed.

Taught me a lesson

Sam

The wind is picking up here in the South, and as I was outside in the 1987 storm, and it was so windy I couldn't hear the trees crashing down, and ducked to avoid a flower container miss my head.. I am not taking chances. All hives battened down and all garden furniture stacked away.
Better safe than sorry.

Papers are saying 90 mile an hour winds. local BBC news saying big storm is on the way. Met office weather warning for south west. Just been on BBC weather, max wind speed for my post code is 31 mph for Sunday / Monday. Is the media over reacting again ? hope so

OMG I live 8ft below sea level 150m from the sea. I think I will start taking stuff upstairs now.

Watch that bad back of yours Doug

I had email in Sept predicting this wind (solar activity gave warning apparently) seems spot on.
They may be egging the pudding after the last 'Fish' debacle but it is going to be interesting!

Only 41 mph forecast here - we are at the forecast upper edge of the "storm"..

Shakespeare wrote a play about it "Much Ado about Nothing" about 450 years before it happened. Clever man that Bill.

high winds

I wouldn't believe that 80mph hype! Not what the Met Office are forecasting. Some areas along the south coast might see gusts to 60mph from sustained winds of 40mph on Sunday night going into Monday morning.
sounds very fishy.

Last edited:
Meteox is saying its definitely not the best day for crossing the Channel on a novelty raft.
http://www.meteox.co.uk/forecastloop.aspx?type=2
The pink stuff (Force 10+) seems to be only over the water ...
... I think it could be 'interesting' on the coast, (during Monday morning up this end of the Channel) but not so bad inland.

There are still lots of leaves on the trees (increasing wind resistance) ... but I'm going to have a lot of windfall apples to deal with. Just hope they aren't still attached to branches!

Maximum wind speed tomorrow here is 25 mph and a mixture of sun, showers and heavy rain, I think they covered everything lol

Worst wind in our neck of the woods look like Monday about lunchtime ... still only gusting to 44mph even then ... nothing like what they were predicting earlier. Hoping to go up to RHS Wisley tomorrow for a walk round - forecast there is breezy with small chance of showers so keeping my fingers crossed ....

Yep, Tomorrow is another day... quote from 'Gone with the Wind!'

Fiddle-di-dee .... Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn .... some fabulous lines in GWTH ... one of my favourites along with Casablanca and the first Star Wars trilogy ... oh and Singing in the Rain ... and a Fistful of Dollars and Battle of Britain .... SWMBO reckons I will watch ANYTHING ... can't think why ??

Now wind speed is 23mph

Current data suggesting winds to peak later... From midnight tomorrow onwards but will be slower to clear due to more southerly track of jet stream. Gusts of 70+ are possible. Rush hour will not be nice. Good chance of falling trees due to saturated soil and foliage still on branches.

Current data suggesting winds to peak later... From midnight tomorrow onwards but will be slower to clear due to more southerly track of jet stream. Gusts of 70+ are possible. Rush hour will not be nice. Good chance of falling trees due to saturated soil and foliage still on branches.

I have hives on the third floor roof of Middlesex University,

I have then strapped down to two paving slabs with 4" yatch ratchet straps, i f any however you see a national hive flying over Hendon High Street or the lower section of the M1from junct 1 to 2 then it will be mine

Fiddle-di-dee .... Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn .... some fabulous lines in GWTH ... one of my favourites along with Casablanca and the first Star Wars trilogy ... oh and Singing in the Rain ... and a Fistful of Dollars and Battle of Britain .... SWMBO reckons I will watch ANYTHING ... can't think why ??

GWTH? Gone With The Hoolie? Like MM's flying hives?

Latest posts

Back