Been thinking..........

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete D

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
50+. Double Std National & 14x12
always dangerous but keeps the mind active.

Thinking No 1, more bees = more honey, therefore as I have probably a few too many colonies for my 2nd year (32 at last count) I am planning to do some unites in time for a flow if it materialises. That would involve me doing away with some viable queens, something I am not too keen on at the moment.
My thought out solution is .......... why not take the queen from hive no 2 which is to be united to No 1 along with the frame she is on, another of brood and 1 of stores and put them in a 5 frame nuc with a dummy board and frame of foundation, thus preserving her and gaining a nuc (always handy), remove it to an out apiary.
Next step unite the now queenless brood box and any supers to hive number 1 over a QE and paper. Go in a few days later and check for and remove queen cells if any are present. Once brood has hatched remove 2nd brood or leave it (remove QE) and run double brood. (I run std nationals and 14x12 so would run double on the national) As this may be a tall tower for 3 weeks it could be reduced a bit by clearing a super down first with a board.
That would give me the best chance of loads of bees making loads of honey and a spare nuc with a laying queen should I need one. I have a nuc box which is just 4 walls and allows me to unite 2 nuc's before putting them into a brood box.
What have I missed or is it something you guys do all the time.
Thinking No 2 Done an inspection today on an AS that I did on Saturday (5 days ago), left one (the original) loaded queen, cell now capped and I removed all the emergency / subsequent ones. Swapped the hives over so flying bees would now return here to even up the numbers. Bees quite happy and all was well.
I had a quick look in the Swarm half of my AS and they have drawn 3.5 frames and the queen is laying in the newly drawn frames. To my suprise one of these frames had 6 queen cells on it, all loaded. I found the queen with her pretty blue spot and removed all the queen cells.
What are they doing, why are they hell bent on swarming, these cells were all on the middle of the frame but too many for superceedure ? I think now when I go in again next week as I must they will have done the same, should I choose one and let it go full term if they have, and keep removing all others....... still thinking about that but any advice.
Thinking No 3 Another hive I inspected today in a std national with a 2011 queen is fit to burst but showing no signs of swarming. By fit to burst I mean they went from 4 to 8 frames of brood in 9 days about 4 weeks ago, then filled a super and a half (full one extracted thank you) and all weekly checks since the rapid brood expansion have shown the same, loads of bees and brood in all stages, no play cups or queen cells, bit of drone brood but not a lot, never seen the queen.
Today 9.5 of 11 frames all brood, 3 sides of pollen and stores, top super full and started capping, 2nd super half full. All 3 boxes full of bees and plenty flying. Alongside this hive I have a complete spare empty one that has been there 6 weeks ready to do an AS.
Guess 2011 queen doesnt need to swarm if all factors are good. I could force an AS with a queen cell from another colony but happy to leave it at the moment.
This hive is on my brothers allotment 15 miles from me and the only hive I know of for miles. I have been waiting for the AS so I could have a break from plodding over there weekly.
I am now thinking give them some more room, so another honey super went on, but should I go double brood, brood and half or just leave them brood wise. Jury is still out on that but I have made arrangements to put 2 more hives there next Monday night......
Hope you enjoyed my ramblings and thoughts

Pete D

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, try a spot of relaxing beekeeping :smash:
or dont read it all at once, I did go on a bit but it was during my tea break at work :drool5:

I've only got four hives but have also been thinking along the lines of your No.1 thought as I'd like to end the year with two hives and two nucs. It would be good to get a couple of strong colonies ready for the main flow, which around here I believe will be bramble (which is budding now). I'm not sure why you'd want to put a QE between them though - wouldn't just the paper be sufficient as the top box is queenless?

In No. 2, did you really swap the hives around or did you move the parent to the other side of the swarm part? I thought the idea was to bleed as many flying bees from the parent as possible, to prevent casts in the case of a missed cell (or purposely leaving two for insurance). FWIW, my swarm part of the AS gave a prime swarm but I put that down to missed a cell on the frame the queen was transferred on.

Hi Freefall,
No 1, I put the QE in as didnt want HM to nip upstairs and start laying during the unite if I left it 3 or 4 days, also it holds the paper on when the wind blows as I normally work on my own, obviously wouldnt matter if moving to double brood.
No 2, sorry yes moved the hive with queen cells to the other side of the AS.
Pete D

No. 1 - no experience, but seem to recall reading (Poly Hive I think) that recommendation is to put Q+ brood body on top, as they will be keener to get out, thus will chew and unite more quickly

No. 2 - mine did the same, assumed that I didn't add a second super quickly enough and brood area was a bit congested - does she have space to lay?

Back