Weather report

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It was just a week ago that Brits made the most of a heatwave by packing out beaches, seaside resorts, and parks across the country, but this weekend will tell a different story - as the first of winter's frosts sets in.

The unseasonably hot Indian summer set October temperature records of 29.5C, but temps in some parts of Britain could reach 3C this weekend.

There is one reprieve before the onset of teeth-chattering temperatures - with Wednesday supposedly hitting a balmy 23C in southern England.

Met Office forecaster Tim Thorne told the Daily Mail: 'It will be breezy and there will be a few showers for the next few days but it will still remain fairly warm in the South and mild in the North and Scotland.

'However, by the weekend, instead of weather from the Atlantic there will be winds coming in from Iceland and the North East, so things will get a little bit chillier.'

Brits have been warned that this winter could see temperatures plunging lower than the -20C we saw last year.

Forecaster James Madden, from Exacta Weather, told The Sun: 'I expect the most frequent and heavy snowfalls to occur across many parts of the UK during November, December and January at present.

Mr Madden predicted: 'It is likely that temperature and snowfall records will be broken.'

But in an effort to reassure Britons that we won't see the same scale of travel chaos as last year, the Department of Transport has revealed that the country's stock of snow-fighting salt and grit is in excess of two million tons, its highest ever level.

Network Rail has also spent £40 million on heating and de-icing units to prevent rails freezing, which last year cause services across the country to grind to a halt.

And BAA, which runs six airports in the UK, has tripled the number of snow ploughs at Heathrow to 185.

It was just a week ago that Brits made the most of a heatwave by packing out beaches, seaside resorts, and parks across the country,
"Brits" seem to exclude all of us in the North West who have have had our own North Divide Climate ALL YEAR!!!!!
Go away .............................

Is it unusual to see such a sensationally-written story in the Daily Mail? :rolleyes: :)

Is it unusual to see such a sensationally-written story in the Daily Mail? :rolleyes: :)
Splutter splutter
I don't know what my 87 year old mother would do without the DM. What would she tutter about all day?
She's sorted my dying bees out over the phone all year

Weather forecasts and reports are slightly amusing, all summer long the talk was of extremely dry, arid conditions, no rainfall for weeks and weeks. Here in S.Wales it's been wet with below average temperatures. Poor Ireland and Scotland seem to have been under clouds all year.
So now 'Britain' is going to freeze.

all summer long the talk was of extremely dry, arid conditions, no rainfall for weeks and weeks.

Quite accurate for our bit of Wales through to the W Midlands. No-one believes me when I say we've been on whole-farm (and house) severe water rationing for two months (and still are) and it was the same in April, only one field has water without carting it. We've had the odd minor shower the last week and again around three weeks ago but made very little impression.

Given the law of averages, they will get it right on isolated occasions. Long range means in the next week at the best, I reckon. Trouble is they latch on to the odd correct guess and 'harp' on about it for years. All the 'misfires' are quietly forgotten.

A bit like astrology, really.

RAB

Quite accurate for our bit of Wales through to the W Midlands. No-one believes me when I say we've been on whole-farm (and house) severe water rationing for two months (and still are) and it was the same in April, only one field has water without carting it. We've had the odd minor shower the last week and again around three weeks ago but made very little impression.

Ditto in the E Mids, no rain seen for months during the summer

We had lots of rai in July... I rely on no rain to enable me to have a holiday from grass cutting..
I've stocked up on salt for road gritting - used 1/2 bag last year in the cold.. but really it's all hype.

Despite last winter being cold -18C here - we had no more than 30cms of snow. In the 1980s we had a metre or more.

As for the Daily Mail and its reporting, I don't buy it, just look at it on the internet - along with DT, Mirror, Independent and Guardian. I can honestly say it's more eyecatching than the others... errrr...

Point I was making is we ALL have to listen to the stats, even when none of them apply to us.
There is stonework in my garden that has turned green because it's practically never dried.
I can hear it now ... driest year on record blah, blah. Not here it wasn't.

I can guarantee that we will have a warm winter, and the temperature will not drop below 10C between now and March 2012.

How can I be so confident? Easy - I've just taken delivery of a set of winter tyres for the car. Just as an umbrella guarantees a dry day, a set of winter tyres heralds a warm winter.

Latest posts

Back