Bad Weather coming for the South of England

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseCottage

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
From 5 to 2 and hopefully a better year
I was just browsing the lunch time news and saw that the MET are warning that a severe storm is expected Monday with winds around 80mph and heavy rain right across the South of England.

If you are like me still with multiple supers on your hives you may wish to try and find the time to reduce them and secure them on Saturday...

My hives have still got masses of bees and I actually caused an October swarm last year when I reduced too far too early, so I am more cautious now.

I am hoping to be able to batten down the hatches this weekend.

All the best,
Sam

Hi Sam,
Thanks for the weather warning. Interesting gem about your October swarm, as I have reduced down two colonies and one of them still have drones! Hope I get away with it as today is like the height of summer in my part of the country.

I was just browsing the lunch time news and saw that the MET are warning that a severe storm is expected Monday with winds around 80mph and heavy rain right across the South of England.

Sam

It rather depends on which forecast you use ... wide variations in the predictions at present ... my iphone forecast has changed so much this morning that it now seems to be permanently updating - do they know ??

Where's Roola ???

Thanks, Sam - hope it's not coming our way - quite windy today :(

It may come to nothing in the end, but my hatches are already securely battened!!

It may come to nothing in the end, but my hatches are already securely battened!!

Please keep your domestic arrangements to yourself.. TMI.. too much information:hairpull::icon_204-2:

Pollytunnel shredded to pieces on Sunday :hairpull:

50 off Solid Dense Block 100mm 7.3N delivered today... running out of straps!

A woman phoned in this morning to say a hurricane is on the way ....

Amber warning for Monday now.

More battening and hatching required... and possibly a few more straps;););)

OMG I live 8ft below sea level 150m from the sea. I think I will start taking stuff upstairs now.

If you are like me still with multiple supers on your hives you may wish to try and find the time to reduce them and secure them on Saturday...

My hives have still got masses of bees and I actually caused an October swarm last year when I reduced too far too early, so I am more cautious now.

I am hoping to be able to batten down the hatches this weekend.

All the best,
Sam

Just seen local weather for Sunday/Monday and it looks pretty windy! I for one will be checking all hives and straps are tight before then
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I wouldn't believe that 80mph hype! Not what the Met Office are forecasting. Some areas along the south coast might see gusts to 60mph from sustained winds of 40mph on Sunday night going into Monday morning.

I wouldn't believe that 80mph hype! Not what the Met Office are forecasting. Some areas along the south coast might see gusts to 60mph from sustained winds of 40mph on Sunday night going into Monday morning.

I remember someone saying something similar, believe he was even better qualified:rolleyes:
S

[ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqs1YXfdtGE"]BBC weather blooper by Michael Fish storm of 1987 - YouTube[/ame]

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

don't understand this october swarm comment what did you reduce them too a shoe box

The London weather forecast has just been massively downgraded; this storm had been just an interruption, but autumn is finally here. Plus the clocks change on Sunday which I think means that for my girls the season is now truly over and for me my last (brief) opening was in fact 2 weeks ago.

I have enclosed hive in wooden frame built from old pallets, allowed for air circulation but secured top with 16mm polycarbon and placed bricks on top for additional weighting. Am hoping this framework protects actual hive from strong winds. I guess the incoming storm will either support or destroy my theory and DIY skills!!

I have not yet tested my TBHs to destruction but 80mph winds in prior winters have had no impact.

I need a helicopter downdraught for further experimentation....

I have not yet tested my TBHs to destruction but 80mph winds in prior winters have had no impact.

I need a helicopter downdraught for further experimentation....

Hah .... I think my long hive would provide an excellent basis for a Tornado shelter !!!

The London weather forecast has just been massively downgraded; this storm had been just an interruption, but autumn is finally here. Plus the clocks change on Sunday which I think means that for my girls the season is now truly over and for me my last (brief) opening was in fact 2 weeks ago.

looks like the dutch and german coasts are going to get it, so postpone that sailing trip from Cuxhaven :)

Mind you, forecasts are one thing, life is another. Walking home through London tonight, the smell of blossom was HEAVY on the air (and ivy overpowering) all sorts of shrubs are in flower and it's nearly November.

Some forecasters has it going further south through France/Belgium which will lower the winds

Weatheraction which is rather an Anti Global Warming organization has had success predict major storms up to 45 days ahead, /their forecasts are based on predicting the likelihood of X class flares and forward facing Coronal Holes on the Sun

Weatheraction predicted this storm in a forecast issued on 18th September

Back