Bad Weather coming for the South of England

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just starting to rattle the tiles here (11pm) Being stuck out on a peninsular here I'm taking no chances, double straps and bricks on all hives. Lets hope they all hang together through the night and tomorrow am! I would hate to have to sort out boxes and frames spread across the apiary field, assuming you could of course.

I bet finman had a field day, saying that you would be surprised how many people think this

I sure do wish all you guys a lot of luck during this storm and hope all is well with you all! Stay Safe,BIll

Kind of you to say so Bill. The reality is that it'll be a bit windy and will probably rain a lot, but it won't be anywhere near as bad as some of the predictions.

There was an early post on the Dark side forum from a person who bought JUST a queen bee with attendants then put it in an empty hive then moaned she did not lay eggs, asking should sheadd male drone bees

What was the reply 'feed with cane sugar and prop the roof with matchsticks' ?
:rolleyes:
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Seems like we're waking up to a fairly normal wet day here. Very relieved - or is the storm just running late?

Just back from the hives, 35mm of rain but no damage here.
Just another day.

No damage, reduced to 'gusty' but not over yet. Furniture in garden ok, but upturned wooden table ( I upturned for stability) is floating in about 6" water in sunken garden area.

Rain over night still as anything
I was hoping the wind would finish the beech mast off, ready for the big sweep/vacuum.....fed up crunching on it all the time and retrieving it from puppy's mouth
Hope everybody has survived the bluster real and anticipated.

As predicted I slept thro the lot....... Hope all is well with the others tho. Going to check on my girls shortly.....

Yep ... same down here ... was a bit noisy around midnight but pretty quiet this morning - couple of fence panels look like they are getting the last rights and a lawn full of twigs, leaves and small branches but that's about it ! Got off lightly I think against what was forecast !

Bees flying this morning ... looks like it's just the more confident aviators at present but lots of girls sitting under the periscope entrance testing the air ! Was 15 degrees at 8.00am and the sun is shining ...

Last edited:
Pictures of trees down on BBC news page and a reported 99mph gust on The Needles. No beehives on there though, I guess ;)

Pretty standard equinoctial gale here.
Port of Dover closed briefly, a few trees down around the county, one potted standard Bay tree fell over in the garden, wakened me a couple of times, but no drama really.

Quite a few trees down near me but my girls out foraging: the worst of the wind has gone but I think their NE leg is still easier than the SW leg...

We have had a fair ol blow up here on the Norfolk coast since dawn, I've totally lost a couple of big Elm trees and there are branches down all over the show. Fingers crossed it's abating a bit which is pretty good compared to some of the things I have heard about.

Latest posts

Back