Bad Weather coming for the South of England

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothin unusal there - the Hurst narrows works as a channel to increase the wind speed

Yep ... big time - got knocked flat a few years ago coming through Hurst on the last of the incoming tide - massive gust as I was tackling the lumpy stuff just by the castle. Crew (SWMBO) down below was not impressed at being dumped off her bunk and pelted with tins where she hadn't tied up the lee cloth on the shelves !!

Yep ... big time - got knocked flat a few years ago coming through Hurst on the last of the incoming tide - massive gust as I was tackling the lumpy stuff just by the castle. Crew (SWMBO) down below was not impressed at being dumped off her bunk and pelted with tins where she hadn't tied up the lee cloth on the shelves !!

Beware of flying hedgehogs caused by high winds, effects can be painful.

Not at all windy in Leeds (the weather, that is, JBM). Heavy rain first thing, but lovely and sunny now.

It's irritating that both Radio 4 and 5 Live got taken over by London local radio this morning. Was there no national or international news? These days I don't give a damn about the weather in the south east, or the difficulties some commuters into London were facing. They didn't even bother to tell us what the weather was going to be like outside of that little corner of the country.

Still, we're used to it. In a month or so they'll be telling us how three flakes of snow fell in Middlesex, bringing that county to a halt.

Not to be a killjoy, but there are a few rather flippant remarks. There's still a 14 year old boy missing, a 17 year old and a 50 year old killed by falling trees. It's typical of us Brits though, if the weather forecasters had not made such a fuss you'd all be complaining about that!

Still, we're used to it. In a month or so they'll be telling us how three flakes of snow fell in Middlesex, bringing that county to a halt.

Point of order, Middlesex no longer exists as a county, only a county cricket team.:facts:

I had written off today for foraging (the rest of the week is supposed to be nice) but I almost have to remove the entrance block; and it's nearly November! What a wonderful life-form they are; incredibly satisfying—touch (fallen) wood.

Not to be a killjoy, but there are a few rather flippant remarks. There's still a 14 year old boy missing, a 17 year old and a 50 year old killed by falling trees. It's typical of us Brits though, if the weather forecasters had not made such a fuss you'd all be complaining about that!

Yes, a couple of the trees my way could well have killed people. As I said, this was a real storm.

Aye, plenty of fallen over trees and blown off branches on the road here in Cambridge as well. Glad I put some heavy rocks on my hives yesterday; they're still upright.

You may not have noticed but part of the British psyche is to lighten the mood and move on. It's what got us through WW2 and other black times

Just about to post on the balmy weather here when in romps a very wet squall!
He who laughs last and all that :(
Vm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

You may not have noticed but part of the British psyche is to lighten the mood and move on. It's what got us through WW2 and other black times

Absolutely, which is exactly why I wrote 'It's typical of us Brits if the weather forecasters had not made such a fuss you'd all be moaning about that!'

Got away with it here as well. It was a bit bumpy here early AM, blew hard for about an hour. But all hives are ok with only a few trees down in/near the apiary. Glad we don't get too many of those. Would not fancy being on one of those ferries off Dover. Ironic when it's safer at sea than in port!

I lost 3 fence panels, but the bricks on the Hives appear to have done the trick
lightning.gif

Fences down, part of a large tree gone, a wall and attached trellising gone and every apple apart from one gone from the Bramley apple tree. We are only 100 yards from the cliff top so not really surprising. Hives are inland a bit so hopefully all will be well when I check tomorrow. Could have been worse.

It's a tragedy when anything causes a death but one of the storm victims was on the Cobb at Lyme Regis taking photographs of the waves breaking over the Cobb .... and the 14 year old boy was 'swimming with friends 10m off shore at Newhaven' ... I ask you is that rational behaviour ?

There are some incredible photos here: (And some lunatics in some of them who should seriously have their brains tested !). The emergency services often bear the brunt of people's outright stupidity.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-lashed-25ft-waves-ahead-St-Judes-storm.html]

Not usually a fan of the Daily Mail but they have got some amazing photos here ...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back