A.m.m. overwintering ability...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm starting to form the opinion that it's the amount of Fat Reserves (relative to body size) and the quality of these Fat Reserves, that are more important than actual clustering ability (although that's important as well).

Isn't the Pollen used to build up Fat Reserves?

I remember reading an article (small sample I think) that showed that Amm's collected Pollen from a wide variety of plants, as opposed to some other types of bees. A varied diet may be better quality Fat for Overwintering...?

So does anyone know of Research into Fat Reserves of bees, and then Fat Reserves of different Subspecies of bees compared, and even going as far as comparing the quality of the
PS: Still have the strongest opinion that overwintering success (ability of the bee) is primarily based on the actions of the Beekeeper - including the set up of the hive, and treatments... etc.

Fatbody is not fat. It egg yolk like tissue in the bee and and in all other insects.

Pollen and fatbody relation in wintering has bee revieled in Germany something 60 years ago.

90% out if Finlands hives are Italian.

I that what you have seen, or have you read it in a Finnish article?

That number can't be right, surely the Italians couldn't survive or perform in such short summers and bad winters?

I that what you have seen, or have you read it in a Finnish article?

?

It is in Finnish Beekeeping Association's homepage.

Italian bees are nursed on Northern parts of beekeeping districts. 65 degree latitude

Then you are better to invent, what is most popular bee race in Finland.

Carniolan bee is popular in north.

Last edited:
Italian bees are widespread in northern countries and huge numbers of packages of them went into northern Canada years ago..some even overwintered them in freezing basements to protect from the very worst of the weather and confinement could last months. Am sure now days there’s a it more variation in colonies used up there, am sure 1 reason for their use was the production of the package bees.

Last edited:
Italians are many. Australian italians do not stay here alive over Winter.

Finnish Italians have a big selection and breeding backround.

Synonym to bee's fat body is vitellogenin . Look from Wikipedia. IT is common to all egg laying animals.... Fish, birds, insects...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back