DNA reveals ancient queen lines.. unique to Britain..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooBee...

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2+ nucs
I was wondering if you all could help me (I decided to open a new Thread instead of taking an existing Thread further of topic, so this Posting / Thread directly stems from #43 https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=43496&page=5 ).

In the article "The health and status of the feral honeybee (Apis mellifera sp) and Apis mellifera mellifera population of the UK" by Catherine Eleanor Thompson, found here,

http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/5211/1/CorrectedThesis3.pdf

it says "Analysis of British honeybee mitochondrial DNA reveals ancient queen lines that are similar to one another, but quite unique to Britain (on page 17, second paragraph), it cites two sources, "Prichard 2008; Jensen et al. 2005", looking at the References I can narrow it down to the below articles;

Jensen, A.B., Palmer, K.A., Boomsma, J.J., et al., 2005. Varying degrees of Apis mellifera ligustica introgression in protected populations of the black honeybee, Apis mellifera mellifera, in northwest Europe. Molecular ecology, 14(1), pp.93–106.
- I already have this article you can find it here https://socialevolution.ku.dk/papers/2005/jensen2005_me.pdf and I cannot find anything to support Ms. Thompson's claim, maybe I've missed it???

Prichard, D., 2008. Is the British dark Bee really native to Britain? The Beekeepers Quaterly, 93, pp.33–39.
- so, I'm thinking this must be the source for the claim that there are ancient DNA in the presently existing UK Queens that are unique to Britain and by inference British as opposed to imported (beyond a bit of genetic drift, like what you and I would have), IF it is not the source then I have to conclude Ms. Thompson has 1. seriously mis-understood what she has read, 2. repeated what she has been told is in the sources or 3. just made it up for her agenda!
by the way is that the same Prichard that thought the Spanish Flu wiped out the British Black Bee in 1919?

Can anyone help me to locate Prichard's article without having to pay for a copy of Beekeepers Quarterly? And double check Jensen's article to make sure I haven't missed it? Thanks.

The science behind this article seems sound enough, but the narrative / conclusions are appearing very weak: I think a common mistake is being made (the same as Beo. Cooper made) in that A.m.m. is being observed in Britain, and the assumption is then being made that these A.m.m. are descendants of the A.m.m.'s living in Britain 1000 years ago, as opposed to descendants of the replacements brought in from the continent after the Isle Of Wight Disease (which recent DNA analysis would confirm, by showing that the A.m.m.'s in Britain and especially here in Ireland are mainly of Dutch and also French descent).

Not all the Amm found in the British Isles are the same.... but if you can go back far enough in time it would seem that they are all related.
Possibly the DNA analyses being carried out at present may shed some light on the way the present population has evolved... a question for Dorian and others who may know at the B4 Project convention at the Eden Project Core debenture next February ?

Somebody once said we are all related to Attila the Hun... or was it Gherkins Khan... more by some than others it would seem?

Yeghes da

"Unique to Britain"

So every - but every- current and historical AMM which ever existed in Europe has had its DNA analysed?

I smell cow excrement in lorry loads.

Why it is important that British beekeeping should be ancient?

It is a knee jerk reaction by the leavers who seem to be anti immigration and want to prove their Nobel ancestry.... sales of "Ancestry dot Con".. DNA testing kits have soured.......

Now I know I have Viking blood and ancient British blood I can stand proud!

Nadelik Lowen

Now I know I have Viking blood and ancient British blood I can stand proud!

Nadelik Lowen

Yeah. I saw from Wikipedia "slavery in Britain", that 200 years ago children have been robbed from England and from Ireland and sold as slaves to America.

.yeah II, you have ancient blood?
How much you have from Neanderthals?

Last edited:
Yeah. I saw from Wikipedia "slavery in Britain", that 200 years ago children have been robbed from England and from Ireland and sold as slaves to America.

I saw too, that American Cherokees have more white genes than indian genes.
Reason is, that criminals and trouble makers were moved as punishment from Britain near to Cherokee living area. So they take wifes from Cherokee indians, and the rest we can only imagine.

It seems now from DNA, that Cherokees are originally from British Isles.

Why is this so familiar?

Why is it so soothing to listen to? I've heard this before .... I feel I want to drift off to sleep ... probably played it on endless repeat in the orphanage to shut us up.

Pogle's Wood was best.

Political Correctness mob forced it to be re-written as Bagpuss with a Woodpecker bookend being more suitable than an alcoholic plant! :ohthedrama:

Latest posts

Back