Apis mellifera sinisxinyuan

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooBee...

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2+ nucs
Apparently there's a new kid on the block.

The M Lineage now has a third member! A long lost Chinese sister!

https://academic.oup.com/mbe/article/33/5/1337/2579991

"Apis mellifera mellifera is distributed along the northwest boundary of the range of A. mellifera in Europe, and is well known for its ability to survive harsh winters. However, to enhance our understanding of the species adaptation to temperate climates, it is preferable to also study populations in the northeast region of its range in northwest China, Mongolia, Kazakstan, or southern Russia. We found a new, winter-tolerant population of A. mellifera in Xinyuan prefecture, located in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, China. The natural environment in Xinyuan is characterized by long, cold winters due to a combination of high latitude and altitude, with a frost season of 185–205 days."

PS: Anyone know how to pronounce it?

Interesting, but I think you will find there is already a hell of a lot more than 3 member of the Apis mellifera sub species.

Apparently there's a new kid on the block.

https://academic.oup.com/mbe/article/33/5/1337/2579991

"Apis mellifera mellifera is distributed along the northwest boundary of the range of A. mellifera in Europe, and is well known for its ability to survive harsh winters. However, to enhance our understanding of the species adaptation to temperate climates, it is preferable to also study populations in the northeast region of its range in northwest China, Mongolia, Kazakstan, or southern Russia. We found a new, winter-tolerant population of A. mellifera in Xinyuan prefecture, located in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, China. The natural environment in Xinyuan is characterized by long, cold winters due to a combination of high latitude and altitude, with a frost season of 185–205 days."

PS: Anyone know how to pronounce it?

sin is shoo'ah w *nagn...... but this is Canton pronunciation from a translator friend who popped in to buy some of our best Cornish honey just now!!!

:calmdown:

Last edited:
Interesting, but I think you will find there is already a hell of a lot more than 3 member of the Apis mellifera sub species.

I'll quote my-self!
"The M Lineage now has a third member!"

My understanding was that A. m. mellifera and A. m. iberiensis were thought to be the only two; the article claims that this new subspecies belongs to the M Lineage.

I wonder what it's traits / characteristics are???

Latest posts

Back