A.m.m. overwintering ability...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooBee...

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2+ nucs
Recently I was reading an Article which had this sentence;

"Apis mellifera mellifera is distributed along the northwest boundary of the range of A. mellifera in Europe, and is well known for its ability to survive harsh winters***..."

BUT I noticed that it did not give a clear Source for this claim, I suppose it's just collective knowledge. BUT surely if it is so obviously correct then there would be Scientific Studies published to support A. m. mellifera's ability to overwinter better - Brother Adam, among many others, believed in this, he regularly incorporated A.m.m.'s into his breeding program for this very reason.

SO, I started Web Searching, but eventually thought it would be quicker and easier just to ask the members here for the Link(s) to the Article(s): All I have found is Beekeeping Management techniques to improve overwintering, and discussion on fat reserves (not specific to a type of bee) which appears to be very important - so I'm guessing the A.m.m. has the ability to create more / better fat reserves, or there is evidence for it's quicker and prolonged clustering ability?

My understanding is that in the Carpathian and the Caucasus mountain ranges harsher winters occur, so I'm not so sure that the A.m.m. ability to overwinter "harsh winters" is unique?

What do you think, what is "a harsh winter". Where they exist?

I know that black bee is very rare in "harsh winter countries" and those countries do not even consider that they start to use black bee again, when it has vanished.

I have just now -20C and 50 cm snow. This is normal winter temp.

Key factor in harsh winters is insulation of hives.

Last edited:
The distinctive climate pattern of the North western boundary of Europe is lower light levels , from both from the latitude and cloud cover. Their natural abode of trees makes the temperature in the depth of winter less of an issue.
in addition is the higher rainfall and lower temperature in SUMMER
One would expect A.m.m. to cope better with cool cloudy rainy conditions for foraging. Success in summer makes for winter survival.

Last edited:
The distinctive climate pattern of the North western boundary of Europe is lower light levels , from both from the latitude and cloud cover. Their natural abode of trees makes the temperature in the depth of winter less of an issue.
in addition is the higher rainfall and lower temperature in SUMMER
One would expect A.m.m. to cope better with cool cloudy rainy conditions for foraging. Success in summer makes for winter survival.

Do you mean Norway or what? But strange text to Finland.

Rainy conditions for foraging? Actually bees stay in hives. Nothing to be foraged.

Without human help bees cannot live in Finland.

Last edited:
I think they managed pretty well until humans interfered.

That is why a colony tries to run away twice in a summer. Bees do not like that the beekeeper steel every time their honey store.

But controversy, a cow does not mind that a human rob its milk, or bull do not mind if a human takes bull's balls.

Last edited:
That is why a colony tries to run away twice in a summer. Bees do not like that the beekeeper steel every time their honey store.

But controversy, a cow does not mind that a human rob its milk, or bull do not mind if a human takes bull's balls.

Never tried to take the 'tackle' off a bull and cant imagine one would be too pleased if I did!
S

Recently I was reading an Article which had this sentence;

"Apis mellifera mellifera is distributed along the northwest boundary of the range of A. mellifera in Europe, and is well known for its ability to survive harsh winters***..."

BUT I noticed that it did not give a clear Source for this claim, I suppose it's just collective knowledge. BUT surely if it is so obviously correct then there would be Scientific Studies published to support

Did you try asking whoever wrote the article?

We are talking about today not neolithic times gone by.

I *was* talking about modern times. Bees survived very well in Europe until humans infected them with foreign diseases and pests by moving colonies around the world.

Latest posts

Back