American Bee Journal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooBee...

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2+ nucs
Does anyone know of an online source for old back issues of the American Bee Journal (ABJ), going back to the 1960's and 1970's?

I'm trying to get a copy of an article (most sources say it was published in 1969, but others suggest 1970, or maybe it was re-published elsewhere the following year?), the article is;

"Heat treatment as a means of eliminating Nosema and increasing production"
by G.E. Cantwell & H. Shimanuki
year published 1969
American Bee Journal 109, 52–54.

(I think it's Issue Number 109 and pages 52 to 54)

I came across it being referenced on this website,
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/the-nosema-twins-part-5-alternative-treatments/
"Nosema apis thrives in cool broodnests (Benecke 2003; Hornitzky 2005; Manning 2007), when bees are chilled (Kleinschmidt 1988b), and during periods of rainfall (Aydin, et al 2005). Other studies have demonstrated the elevating the temperature of the host kills off nosema (Cantwell & Shimanuki 1969, Booheme 2003, Manning 2007)."
(The Booheme 2003 article is not referenced, and the Manning 2007 article is about Nosema in feral colonies).

It may be early research, that found that 120F killed Nosema, so equipment could be sterilized, but the context of the sentence in which the article is referenced in, suggests maybe not, as it talks about the "host" (the bee) and not the equipment, so my curiosity has got the better of me.

Why not email the ABJ and ask for a scan. I have found them very helpful.

PH

Latest posts

Back