2.5g of oxalic acid?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizzie-drippin

New Bee
Reaction score
I’ve seen 2.5g of OA vaporised per colony and also 1.5g per colony,

The GasVap measure is for 1.5g…

Does anyone have a definite be answer?!

Best regards

LD

The latest out of the USA is 4grams is better than 2

I think Cameron Jack is doing tests on how much is too much. Apparently there is not much information on the upper limit of OA .

I think Cameron Jack is doing tests on how much is too much. Apparently there is not much information on the upper limit of OA .
Lasi did extensive tests and found that higher doses of OA still had no negative effects on the bees.

8 grams oxalic to a single brood colony has no noticeable bad effects on the colony here in NZ

I’ve seen 2.5g of OA vaporised per colony and also 1.5g per colony,

The GasVap measure is for 1.5g…

Does anyone have a definite be answer?!

Best regards

LD
Yes, The VMD regulations in the UK for approved Oxalic Acid formulations sold permit a single application per year by sublimation. Professor Ratnieks of LASI has stated through that: “The research we have done shows that single and double applications of oxalic acid, 2.25g, by sublimation in broodless hives cause no harm to bees or colonies.” I would add that Ratnieks also recommends two treatments by sublimation 7 – 10 days apart (source personal email to myself).

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00218839.2015.1106777
The full research on broodless periods can be downloaded here in the published work, chapter 8: Towards integrated control of varroa: effect of variation in hygienic behaviour among honey bee colonies on mite population increase and deformed wing virus incidence : Sussex Research Online

Picture1.jpg

Professor Ratnieks of LASI has stated through that: “The research we have done shows that single and double applications of oxalic acid, 2.25g, by sublimation in broodless hives cause no harm to bees or colonies.” I would add that Ratnieks also recommends two treatments by sublimation 7 – 10 days apart (source personal email to myself).
Interestingly, Other respected scientists in this field say more treatments at shorter intervals to maximise impact over the brood cycle of bees, noting of course when you do your treatment, the method used and the changes to our climate that risks no brood break is the most effective.

The unfortunate thing about Ratnieks is that he is totally blinkered/obsessed with treating broodless colonies, even to the degree of making them broodless by opening up and ripping out any brood found, in a discussion with him a few years ago he blankly refused to even contemplate conducting studies with multiple treatments on brooded colonies.

The unfortunate thing about Ratnieks is that he is totally blinkered/obsessed with treating broodless colonies, even to the degree of making them broodless by opening up and ripping out any brood found, in a discussion with him a few years ago he blankly refused to even contemplate conducting studies with multiple treatments on brooded colonies.
Won't be listening to him then.

Interestingly, Other respected scientists in this field say more treatments at shorter intervals to maximise impact over the brood cycle of bees, noting of course when you do your treatment, the method used and the changes to our climate that risks no brood break is the most effective.
Do you have any links to research on this or presentations would love to see.

Do you have any links to research on this or presentations would love to see.
Google Bob Binnie on youtube and look for his work with uni of Georgia

Also, google Randy Oliver

Latest posts

Back