What did you do in the 'workshop' today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't do much today as I went for a job interview that turned out to be further away time-wise than I or my satnav estimated (two hours twenty-five minutes for a sixty-five mile drive; without any particularly bad traffic?!). I did manage to get the last of my bait hive brood boxes fix up though, and on the way home I stopped off at Wickes and picked up five litres of Garden Shades (in "Wild Thyme", because it made me think of my late teens and twenties) for £34 to paint them.

James

Couldn't do much today as I went for a job interview that turned out to be further away time-wise than I or my satnav estimated (two hours twenty-five minutes for a sixty-five mile drive; without any particularly bad traffic?!). I did manage to get the last of my bait hive brood boxes fix up though, and on the way home I stopped off at Wickes and picked up five litres of Garden Shades (in "Wild Thyme", because it made me think of my late teens and twenties) for £34 to paint them.

James
I picked up a 2.5 litre of Garden Shades from B & M stores in what could only be described as mud grey (it did have a name - can't remember it's official one) - clearly not a well liked shade as it had been reduced to £3.75 from £22 .... guess what colour my roofs that require a freshen up are going to be ? Only one tin left otherwise there would be more hives painted in that colour ... not had chance to try it out as it's raining again this afternoon and I only just managed to get the grass cut before rain drove me into the greenhouse to pot on some cornflower seedlings...

I picked up a 2.5 litre of Garden Shades from B & M stores in what could only be described as mud grey (it did have a name - can't remember it's official one) - clearly not a well liked shade as it had been reduced to £3.75 from £22 .... guess what colour my roofs that require a freshen up are going to be ? Only one tin left otherwise there would be more hives painted in that colour ... not had chance to try it out as it's raining again this afternoon and I only just managed to get the grass cut before rain drove me into the greenhouse to pot on some cornflower seedlings...
Good idea to go drab - blends in and not so vulnerable to theft, Still can't quite understand why people go for the bright stand out shades when hives are nicked

picked up five litres of Garden Shades (in "Wild Thyme", because it made me think of my late teens and twenties)
I've used wild Thyme a lot for poly nucs and UFEs, it comes out a bit like the 'sage' colour of a BBwear beesuit. Unlike the garden shades I'm using to repaint my older nucs at the moment labelled 'sage' it's more of a dark bottle green

I've used wild Thyme a lot for poly nucs and UFEs, it comes out a bit like the 'sage' colour of a BBwear beesuit. Unlike the garden shades I'm using to repaint my older nucs at the moment labelled 'sage' it's more of a dark bottle green

I wanted to stick with colours that will blend in with the landscape, so as long as I can tell it apart from the green that I use to paint my poly hives with, I reckon it should be fine.

James

Took apart a set of slatted shelves that were on the scrap timber pile and used the slats to make up five new ply crownboards -- I need a few spares until I find some more perspex at a reasonable price (is there such a thing these days?). Then I made a sixth using some lengths of stripwood that I found in the workshop and put to one side "because they'll be useful for beehive parts one day", oooh, at least twelve months ago :)

I also found another roof in the scrap wood pile. I think I put it there because it's one more with an aluminium sheet roof covering. The sheet has been fixed in place with clout nails and I can't get them out without damaging the aluminium. I don't want to damage the sides either, because for a change they're actually in good shape. In this case it's the ply inner roof that has crumbled away. If I could just get the aluminium off it's probably fifteen minutes to fix it, tops.

James

Took apart a set of slatted shelves that were on the scrap timber pile and used the slats to make up five new ply crownboards -- I need a few spares until I find some more perspex at a reasonable price (is there such a thing these days?). Then I made a sixth using some lengths of stripwood that I found in the workshop and put to one side "because they'll be useful for beehive parts one day", oooh, at least twelve months ago :)

I also found another roof in the scrap wood pile. I think I put it there because it's one more with an aluminium sheet roof covering. The sheet has been fixed in place with clout nails and I can't get them out without damaging the aluminium. I don't want to damage the sides either, because for a change they're actually in good shape. In this case it's the ply inner roof that has crumbled away. If I could just get the aluminium off it's probably fifteen minutes to fix it, tops.

James
Could you use a multi tool to remove the inner ply James ,might save your roof covering
John

James
If you don't mind losing the wood on the sides, burn it to rescue to metal.

IMG_7068.jpeg
Wild thyme works for me, I’m probably going for go towards a brown colour for the next lot of boxes. In the above pictures there’s 5 of my colonies, 4x in a green that’s a bit too teal in colour for my likening and 1 that’s wild thyme. The wild thyme has blended in well enough I can’t even spot it despite knowing where it should be 😆

James
Best of luck with the interview James 👍
John.

Best of luck with the interview James 👍

Thank you. It went ok, but even if they offer me the job I think I'll turn it down. If I were willing to do an (irregular or otherwise) two and a half hour each way commute then I could get to central London and I could use the time productively rather than sitting behind the steering wheel of a car.

I have however just found a company about forty-five minutes away and probably only fifteen minutes from my parents and of my brothers that I might try to talk my way into, even if I don't have the ideal skill-set.

Or I might just decide that I really do need to jack in doing IT and grow carrots instead :D

James

Made up a couple of boards to try reverse a/s: 1mm aluminium sheet to allow heat transfer (solid), a rim on each side with a hingeable entrance on 2 sides on the top and one side on the bottom (immediately below one of the top entrances.

I have spent several wet days during the last week cleaning and painting some swienty hives. Anothe beek put three hives in my apiary several years ago.
Three bases, 3three 14x12 brood boxes, three roofs and 2 supers.
one hive has been permanently occupied all the time but the othets have been empty for several years.
i decided the occupied hive needed a good clean out and I am going to transfer the colony into one of the other hives.
They needed a clean up so I took them over to the workshop and washed and scrubbed them with bleach and have painted them.
Realising I only had 2 swienty supers I purchased another 4 to make two supers available per hive. Here they are drying after a second coat

Attachments

• 20240503_100755.jpg
    20240503_100755.jpg
    1,013.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240506_104350.jpg
    20240506_104350.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back