Opinions on the effective doseage of OA and Api-Bioxal sublimation for varroa ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivachaz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Hi,

Any idea what is the effective confirmed pure OA doseage for sublimation treatment per hive and duration of treatments is?

2.5g grams for per day for 5 days with 5 days left between each or a higher dosage ?

I’ve heard that Api-Bioxal. has sugars put into the dosage and it can gum up the heating pans ? If so what measure do people use for this product as a comparison to pure OA ?

Disclaimer :

Not that I have any or plan to use any, but I’m curious of the treatments that some use,( I use varromed) that’s all - nothing more.

Hi,

Any idea what is the effective confirmed pure OA doseage for sublimation treatment per hive and duration of treatments is?

2.5g grams for per day for 5 days with 5 days left between each or a higher dosage ?
No to clear things up not 2.5gms per day for 5 days.
It is . 2.5gms per vape over a complete vaping treatment , one carries out 3 or 4 vapes per complete treatment course over one brood cycle to cover 21 days ( worker cycle) or 24 days ( drone cycle).
Treatment is one vape on day 1, then two or three more vapes at 5 day intervals.

Last edited:
The OA weight isn't too critical to get exact, 2.3gms - 3 gms will do the job for each vape.
I no longer weigh out my measures but use a copper spoon made from a bit of pipe and a 12mm end feed cap. Each level cap quantity is approx. 1.4 gms so I use two level scoops per vape.

As @hemo I use two scoops of the little cup provided with the small tub of Apibioxil I bought eight years ago.
It’s remarkable stuff as the pot never seems to get any less full.
The Magic Apibioxal pot?

My 1.4 gms in OA form is 1.6gms in APB form using the same spoon.

Probably a lot less tha 2.5g each time as only a small amount is enough to create plenty of OA vapour and enough to saturate a hive which you can determine when vapour starts coming out from a crack made under the crown board.

There's a lot of research on the effectiveness of OA as a miticide at different dosages. The appearance of vapour is not a guide to the quantity needed to kill the mites. It's well known that the US legal dose of 1g is ineffective even when applied multiple times.

I used 1/2 to 1 tsp per hive 3 times at 4/5 day intervals. 1 tsp is about 3.5-4g ,so probably about 2-3g per vape. More or less.

I used my scales to get the weight of each end feed level cap full , it then gives me a ball park figure to use.

Back