Wired or Unwired?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigsaw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
Started to build frames recieved as Christmas pressie. For some reason or another ordered wire foundation for supers and unwired for brood. Would this be alright for brood box or not? Only talking about 10 sheets, so no big issue if I need to order more. Happy new year to everyone. Regards Jigsaw.:cheers2:

It all depends on how you handle the frames and whether your bees like chewing through the edges !!

Personally, I would wire the frames with frame wire and melt the foundation into them with the use of a car battery touched either end to make them more stable - the last thing you would want is a frame collapsing with a selected queen cell on it !

regards

S

A car battery charger would suffice if you have no spare car battery to hand, or it may be more convenient, depending on circumstances.

I don't remember clearly, but I think a figure of 4A is more than adequate. Don't spend a lot of money on it, just basic and cheap as chips.

I use a battery charger which has a motor bike setting and that works very well.

I would not use unwired foundation in either brood or super unless for cut comb.

PH

Started to build frames recieved as Christmas pressie. For some reason or another ordered wire foundation for supers and unwired for brood. Would this be alright for brood box or not? Only talking about 10 sheets, so no big issue if I need to order more. Happy new year to everyone. Regards Jigsaw.:cheers2:

if you do not add frame wire in the frame of unwired foundation i have found the undrawn foundation can slump and distort in summer...but London is a micro climate several degree C higher than part pf the country. that was on a super for cut comb

so i would expected totoal unwire in a brood if not frame wired would be worse

personally i would make beewax candles out of it and buy new wired foundation from KBS of Hastings but its your choice

Jigsaw,

When fully drawn a standard brood should be no bother - unless you want to extract honey in a radial spinner! I go with wired for 14 x 12s, and always used wired in my standards, too. I am going to try some unwired 14 x 12s this year. If extracted it will be tangential, but likely not extracted until no longer needed for brood rearing.

All foundation, wired or not, will eventually get distorted if not drawn relatively freshly, IMO. TBHs don't have too many disasters with soft frames so a framed comb should be alright, especially when completely drawn.

Stick a coloured drawing pin in the top of the topbar, or some other identification mark, so you can be more careful until you are confident handling them if you have both wired and unwired in the same box.

BTW, I would not be putting foundation into any frame until just before it is needed. It wll not improve out of the storage bag.

If you are a greenhorn at this beekeeping lark, I would recommend you start with wired and keep this unwired foundation stored away carefully (sealed in it's plastic bag) until you have a little more experience of handling frames. A mishap can be a disaster for a beginner, especially with only one colony.

Regards, RAB

PH I have been asked to do some cut comb this year for a farmer's wife were I keep a few hives.

I already have a few packs of thin foundation for the supers.
Do you have any tips for getting cut comb?

I filled a brood box with unwired foundation once and put a big swarm in it. The foundation collapsed and they started to build comb au naturel amongst the remains. What a mess. I don't know it the heat made it collapse or if they cut it down, but I won't use unwired in either brood or supers again.

Steve

Well now, lets think about this.

They wouldn't normally have wired foundation waiting for them in a new home if they swarmed naturally. And one swallow doesn't make a summer (or in this case the opposite meaning).

If unwired foundation was no good would the suppliers be offering it?

Yes, you can wire your own. I suppose if my 14 x 12 collapse I will have to wire the rest. How do 'cut comb' beekeepers ever manage? How do TBHs even exist?

I am going to try it because the missed cells, where she does not lay, are usually in the line of the wires - unless she is failing, or worse, a brood problem. I am not expecting a problem, but may encounter one. I will report back on it, if I have insurmountable problems. I would say a super would be perfectly OK until radial (in particular) extraction! A standard brood would only need extra careful handling until completely drawn, unless left out in the sun.

Regards, RAB

How do 'cut comb' beekeepers ever manage? How do TBHs even exist?
Regards, RAB

I took on a hive once from a beekeeper who was retiring,about 3-4 brood combs were just the top bar,I ended up working those frames like a juggler as I kept forgeting to turn the frame just front to back and instead kept flipping them upside down.

You can get in a mess really fast with natural comb like in a TBH..

Cut combs are not manipulated like brood ones are. Simple really...lol

PH

I realise that PH,I was just reminiscing,It was like trying to juggle butter packs at 35c temp's

Many thanks one and all, think Ill get some frame wire and try the battery charger, should be good practice. Will order new wired foundation as well, just in case----.

Back