Swapping out frames quickly…

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So ...if you have 8 frames with brood ..there is space in a Langstroth brood box for 10 frames - you have enough space in one box for your brood frames and two frames of stores ... again ...why do you need two boxes and what is the point of a queen excluder between them.

If, for some reason, you have concerns that they need two boxes for the size of the colony (doubtful) then put all the frames with brood in them in the upper brood chamber and all the other frames in the lower one - you don't need a queen excluder between them. Frames of stores in the top box outside of the frames with brood on them. If they are shorty of stores then crownboard on top of the two brood boxes and the feeder in the otherwise empty brood box on top.

Or am I missing something ??

You have a big hole in your knowledge. Nothing has missed.

Now you put second brood box and you follow, what the colony dors next. And no excluder. Let the queen lay in two boxes So you will know, how good is your queen.
When two boxes are full, then put a honey super and you may use an excluder if you want. I do not use excluder.

I’m assuming you didn’t bother reading this properly?

The 2nd brood box is to swap out the 5 nuc frames as they were causing a problem. The 10 frame brood box that will be permanent is now sorted with 5 replacement frames the box above will disappear once the brood hatch. I’ve made that pretty clear now.
I do not know what you are doing.

Now you put second brood box and you follow, what the colony dors next. And no excluder. Let the queen lay in two boxes So you will know, how good is your queen.
When two boxes are full, then put a honey super and you may use an excluder if you want. I do not use excluder.
Best go back and read the thread from the beginning Finnie ...

I’d say about 50% capped. The rest are larvae and food stores
so all ten Langstroth frames are fully drawn out andnhave at least seventy to eighty percent of of their comb full of BIAS? two of the three national frames you show have only got about 60% brood?

I’m could have added a 2nd brood box permanently but I only want to use one. That’s why I’m doing this.

Just found the flow hive site actually says to do what I did to remove frames. Got there eventually. A few of you definitely missed the point but all good

so all ten Langstroth frames are fully drawn out andnhave at least seventy to eighty percent of of their comb full of BIAS? two of the three national frames you show have only got about 60% brood?
The frame pics there were 2 weeks ago to show a group on Facebook what I’d done to make the frames fit.

The queen excluder is stopping the queen laying eggs in the frames I’m throwing out….
That is the meaning of excluder
Best go back and read the thread from the beginning Finnie ...
Yeah pargyle. To learn beekeeping with flow hive is not best way to learn.

Well. 5 frame nucleus and now one box is full many things. And ready to add next box. Lots of open brood now.

I'll have a go.
I take it you have 2 brood boxes with a queen excluder between them: in the bottom is the queen, in the top is some deep frames with brood, some super frames, and a lot of empty space.
If this is correct I would reverse the boxes so all the space is below (shallow frames on the outside), leave the excluder in, (though it will trap any emerging drones), wait until all the brood in the (now) bottom box has emerged, and then clear up the mess.

I’m could have added a 2nd brood box permanently but I only want to use one. That’s why I’m doing this.

Just found the flow hive site actually says to do what I did to remove frames. Got there eventually. A few of you definitely missed the point but all good
Well good for you ... they are clearly all experts over there ...or mindreaders ?

Jarmo has 60+ years of beekeeping under his belt ... JBM runs 50+ hives and has a very wide knowledge of beekeeping .... Me ? I'm not a proper beekeeper .. just 13 years in with a garden apiary of between 8 and 10 colonies ....

After 60 years beekeeping I advice you use 2 brood boxes. You have a good queen and I advice you to clear out, how good it is.

Well good for you ... they are clearly all experts over there ...or mindreaders ?

Jarmo has 60+ years of beekeeping under his belt ... JBM runs 50+ hives and has a very wide knowledge of beekeeping .... Me ? I'm not a proper beekeeper .. just 13 years in with a garden apiary of between 8 and 10 colonies ....
But also hasn’t gave him any skill in teaching as opposed to being a pompous grumpy old fart.

I’ve definitely found the group everyone on the Facebook group were referring to last night. 😂

Yes I have a flow but until the super comes into the equation there’s no difference is there?

I’ve definitely found the group everyone on the Facebook group were referring to last night.
Feel free not to take advantage of the best and actually most welcoming beekeeping forum on the planet and the excellent advice it's members are happy to give.
Your choice.
But please don't be rude.

But also hasn’t gave him any skill in teaching as opposed to being a pompous grumpy old fart.

I’ve definitely found the group everyone on the Facebook group were referring to last night. 😂

Yes I have a flow but until the super comes into the equation there’s no difference is there?
Perhaps best join your friends on Facebook then ... all people here were trying to do was help ... your initial post was confusing, the pictures two weeks old which you failed to mention, the information you provided was questioned by three people ... perhaps best look in the mirror on your way to facebook ...

I'll have a go.
I take it you have 2 brood boxes with a queen excluder between them: in the bottom is the queen, in the top is some deep frames with brood, some super frames, and a lot of empty space.
If this is correct I would reverse the boxes so all the space is below (shallow frames on the outside), leave the excluder in, (though it will trap any emerging drones), wait until all the brood in the (now) bottom box has emerged, and then clear up the mess.
Yes buddy that’s exactly it. Thank you.

The national frames in the top brood box just weren’t wide enough to fill brood box so I didn’t want cross comb so cycling them out.

I'll have a go.

Why exluder at all? What is meaning?

If you have 2 boxes and excluder between them, bees have filled one box with brood next box will be filled with honey. Why heck ypu want swapp them?

I had same sotuation couple days ago.

I had brood in 2 langstroth boxes. I added 3th box and I collected all honey frames to the uppermost box. They were 8 frames. One box full of honey.

Next box was full of brood.

The lowest box had ready combs and foundations. The colony is expanding now fast and the bees and the laying queen will occupye the lowest box.

Do not force bees to move honey from place to place. It consumes energy for nothing. Bees collected that 20 kg honey in one week. I moved up the honey, not bees. Most honey was already capped. And at same time the queen occupyed lowest box ja layed a'lot.

Now we have in Finkand cold and frowering gap. I do not know, how ghus hive will react to this situation.

Perhaps best join your friends on Facebook then ... all people here were trying to do was help ... your initial post was confusing, the pictures two weeks old which you failed to mention, the information you provided was questioned by three people ... perhaps best look in the mirror on your way to facebook ...

He is a new beekeeper. Give to him time to think.

Feel free not to take advantage of the best and actually most welcoming beekeeping forum on the planet and the excellent advice it's members are happy to give.
Your choice.
But please don't be rude.
It’s a well discussed thing about this site how the older experienced keepers are exactly like this.

Yet that said, I’ve just had the most helpful and understanding reply which I could have had initially from some of you other guys.

Latest posts

Back