Where did you get stung first time?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a new beek I have been stung on the hands a few times. What does intrigue me though is that some don't hurt too much, and yet others make me jump with the initial pain of the sting.

I wonder do some stings hit a vein or a more sensitive part of the finger that makes them seem more painful?

As a new beek I have been stung on the hands a few times. What does intrigue me though is that some don't hurt too much, and yet others make me jump with the initial pain of the sting.

I wonder do some stings hit a vein or a more sensitive part of the finger that makes them seem more painful?

Young bees are not so painfull as the older bees, so im told ;)

Young bees are not so painfull as the older bees, so im told ;)

Makes sense, if their venom sacs have to mature through their house bee stage. I'm hoping my first is a young bee, just to ease me into it ;)

I soon learn't to smooth out the folds on my gloves up, my arms, as I upset my 'docile'
lot one day and the ones that were in the folds were trapped and it helped to drive the stings home!!!

Where did I get stung first? If you mean this week, then it was on the tip of my nose through a veil. -Makes the eyes water. :ack2:

little devil

Got stung on the bicep today. Its now twice the size and thats without working out.

What am I doing wrong? I lead all the inspections so it's not like I'm out of the way!

I got my first sting today. Got a bee inside my veil and then got stung on the back of the head.

Hurt a little bit but is more like a dull ache now.

All the hives today were in abit of a foul temper.

Where did you get stung first time?

Be warned - I have been stung on the top of the head before, and the next day the glands on both sides of my neck came up and stayed like that for about a week. But I react quite badly to any type of sting or bite (but I'm not allergic), so you may be luckier.

I got my first sting last week while sitting on my 'observation' bench very near the hive. Normally it is out of their flight path but I pruned the cherry tree behind it so created a new opening for them to use as a flight path. Of course I did not realise that until one crash landed in my hair and got tangled up. I did wait a while before trying to get it out, but after 20 seconds, the anticipation of being stung was too much so I tried to free it. The site of my fat fingers swooping at it was obviously too much for the poor incapacitated bee, so it stung my scalp. Ouch.

My fist sting was on my leg when, aged 5, I was sitting on a climbing frame swinging my legs and I saw a big fat bumble bee then wham. Since having bees, I have had 5 stings.
1 on finger through glove. 3 at wrist where they got through (these were at the same time). last one was last Thursday on upper arm through beesuit (though I'd only got a short sleeved t-shirt beneath the top of the suit).
I was pleased to get the first - a sort of 'well now you are a real beekeeper' .
PS don't tell my chiropractor, due to problems with my white blood cells / immune system he warned me I was not to get stung.

Twice on my inner thigh, right on the soft and tender part. They got caught in the folds of my trousers whilst bending down. And last week at work on my upper arm, it wasnt one of mine. None have hurt much but they all itched like mad for a few days.

Mine was on my legs as well (about 6) - I was helping my mentor with her bees last year and shook a frame at a totally skewed angle and ended up with about 50 bees on my jeans!

Bill Turnbull (The Bad Beekeeper's Club) describes being stung on the head as being hit on the head with a hammer with a drawing pin stuck to it. I was stung on the temple last week (my own fault), it was more of an annoyance than pain, I've got to say I was almost disappointed.

I feel sorry for the poor bee, after all I was invading their space.

I've been stung on my fingers and it hurts,but I was stung on my bottom eyelid last week and it wasn't too bad,it just swelled up a bit.

The first time I got stung was 2 weeks ago. 3 times in quick concession, two on shoulder blade and 1 at top of my arm near the arm pit. Served me right for not tucking my top in.

mine was on the butt :)was not to bad just stinging a lot worst i had was on the ankle got stung 6 times could not walk for two days now that hurt

A mate of mine used to help his late father in law with his bees and got stung in the back of his head - he said it was like being hit with a sledge hammer (He's had that done to him as well!)

when I first was taught beekeeping my tutor would make sure we were all stung asap to see our reaction and taught us how to remove them . He always carried a phone just in case of serious reaction.as stings can be dangerous to some. sounds cheerful I know but sound advice I think!:)

Latest posts

Back