Instant vap, used for first time

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just used my instant vap for the first time.
Does anyone else have one and how do you use it if you have a landing board. I was able to tilt mine but it meant I had to hold it while I was using it and the gap that was left reduced the effectiveness.
Thinking about drilling a small hole in the back of the brood box to allow the nozzle through. Or ....... has anyone else got some ideas?
Thanks

Does anyone else have one and how do you use it if you have a landing board. I was able to tilt mine but it meant I had to hold it while I was using it and the gap that was left reduced the effectiveness.
Thinking about drilling a small hole in the back of the brood box to allow the nozzle through. Or ....... has anyone else got some ideas?
Thanks
Who uses landing boards😂
I’ve seen holes in brood used or floor rims or as above an eke. Have seen a golf T used to plug them after use,

Thanks
Eke on top or a deeper floor with a hole above the omf

First is easier. Means you can vape while bees are flying
Been doing top vaping for three years now. It works very well

Eke on top or a deeper floor with a hole above the omf

First is easier. Means you can vape while bees are flying
Been doing top vaping for three years now. It works very well
Oh yes. Ha ha! I was overthinking it, thanks for such an obvious answer. I knew I could rely on you👍

Use a reversal-able cb with a hole drilled through the eke , I also add a piece of thin copper pipe in the drilled hole to stop the end of my subliminox burning the wood .
So you have the bb, then a crown board above the bb with a hole in and then the eke and then a solid crown board and you vape through a hole in the eke? is that right

Would an OMF reduce the vape if it was done below the OMF?
I can get my OA vaporiser through the inspection board slot but obviously that's below the OMF.
K ;)

Would an OMF reduce the vape if it was done below the OMF?
done it like that for years and it's worked a treat, just use about 2.3-2.5 g of OA, steel plate istead of an ispection tray, piece of foam stuffed in the back, entrance left open

Thanks
Landing boards get in the way of vaping through the entrance. I tried shallow ekes above, they were OK but the bees build too much comb.
My floors are solid and have a hole at the rear, stainless alan bolts are fitted to seal them. Vaping is a case of removing the bolt, vaping and then push it back in. Very fast and effective.
I still have one or two mesh floors but seal these with a board, they have the same hole set up. Be careful of drilling a hole into the box itself as this could mean a frame directly in front of the nozzle, which would affect sublimation.
The deep roof of a Maisemore nuc works well with a hole drilled in it (sealed with a cork) for vaping nucs with home made floors.

I vape as JBK has mentioned as well still works a treat , I have no need to modify or change my set up. All done with out having to even take the roof off, my GASVAP is no longer used as I much prefer the simple pan type and a 3s 400g battery power pack.

Last edited:
hi Enrico ,I've got several beehives with OMF from maisemore for many years and decided to drill holes in the back of the omf floor just over metal netting only for vape putpose and because I use bigger diameter of copper pipe(no problem with build up oxalic crystal and blockage)i need only to put piecd of wood in hole after job.
of course i keep floor close for that moment
its few positive points this way but most important, I dont trigger unnecessary interestsbh bees when stand on back,you do when in front.
second when you slot in hot pipe in front entrance you killing many guards bees try protecting "main door"

when doing on the back its smooth and fast
several hives in about a half hour

Back