Vaping newbie

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. So should ‘day 15’ for a possible fourth vape actually be day 16...or is the fourth vape supposed to be a day sooner?
Hivemaker advised that if you think you needed a fourth vape, to do it a day sooner. I
tend to do the fourth by rote nowadays and on the fourth day if it is convenient, if not, on day five

I’ve vaped one of my hives 4 times now at 5 day intervals and there’s still quite a drop, about 30 the day after the last vape. First time I’ve used the gas-vap and so may not have got it completely right first and second time. Also, they are double brood and I am vaping through a mainly blocked off entrance with floor and back sealed. In double brood, should there be issues of the vapour getting up to the top box in a decent enough quantity, where the bees are?

Treated all three hives with Apivar in autumn but this is the only problem one. Do people use 2 strips in the brood nest area for double brood? I assumed you would not use more.

Like you, I just hope I’m using the gas vap right. How long do you leave it in the hive for? I think 30sec is supposed to be enough but I probably left it going for well over a minute just to be sure...presume there’s no down side to leaving it going for longer but not sure?

My colony is brood and a half...I just used one scoop of the OA but wonder if a bit more should be used if the bees are in a bigger space...

I’ve vaped one of my hives 4 times now at 5 day intervals and there’s still quite a drop, about 30 the day after the last vape. First time I’ve used the gas-vap and so may not have got it completely right first and second time. Also, they are double brood and I am vaping through a mainly blocked off entrance with floor and back sealed. In double brood, should there be issues of the vapour getting up to the top box in a decent enough quantity, where the bees are?

Treated all three hives with Apivar in autumn but this is the only problem one. Do people use 2 strips in the brood nest area for double brood? I assumed you would not use more.
2 strips per brood box, so for a double you need 4 strips is that what you used?

2 strips per brood box, so for a double you need 4 strips is that what you used?
It says 2 strips per hive so that’s what I used. Doesn’t mention anywhere in the instructions about increasing for double brood. You would have thought that the number of strips would increase with more brood boxes.

Yes 2 strips per hive not per brood box. These strips are used in Dadants which are big boxes. If the colony is a big one the recommendation is to leave the strips in for ten weeks instead of the usual six.

It says 2 strips per hive so that’s what I used. Doesn’t mention anywhere in the instructions about increasing for double brood. You would have thought that the number of strips would increase with more brood boxes.
And yet on Apivar's website it says two strips per brood chamber which would imply per box but then again two boxes is still only one brood chamber however as these strips are designed to be used two per box regardless of box size (hives such as Dadant or Langs are larger) two for a double Nat should also be OK, especially as they say for a larger brood area, just leave the strips in longer.
Remember that most mite treatment products are designed for hives larger that a National - remember the booboo they made with MAQS originally when they never mentioned that the two pads were meant for a Dadant hive and that later they admitted that one was sufficient for a National

.......Do people use 2 strips in the brood nest area for double brood? I assumed you would not use more.

Despite this product being marketed as a metered application of active chemical, there appears to be a bit of judgement called for.

There are instructions available from the manufacturer which do not necessarily apply in the UK, which refer to the dosage of strips per "Number of frames covered with bees." These instructions include the attached image showing four strips over a double brood. The page with the download link:

https://apivar.co.nz/application/
With a massive brood nest over two boxes, you could use four strips. If it was maybe a "normal" (whatever that is?) brood over two boxes you might use one strip per box. If the brood was in two boxes but one box was less populous in brood than the other you might use two plus one. In a nuc box, one strip might be appropriate.

I also read that whilst overdosing could result in excessive residues being left in wax, the bigger issue with regard to incorrect application is the risk of inducing resistance in mites by underapplication of the active ingredient.

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    60.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Only just. 🤪 but at least we agree
The instructions for the UK and the US are quite a bit different to the ones I glanced through for New Zealand so as Beebee said it's more than a tad ambiguous

The instructions for the UK and the US are quite a bit different to the ones I glanced through for New Zealand so as Beebee said it's more than a tad ambiguous
Yes. He has a point. But I still wouldn’t put four in a double National.

Thanks for the input. Now I’ve got the gas-vap, I’ll be vaping this end of summer instead of using Apivar. Limited success using Apivar last summer and hoping bees aren’t too compromised.

Like you, I just hope I’m using the gas vap right. How long do you leave it in the hive for? I think 30sec is supposed to be enough but I probably left it going for well over a minute just to be sure...presume there’s no down side to leaving it going for longer but not sure?

My colony is brood and a half...I just used one scoop of the OA but wonder if a bit more should be used if the bees are in a bigger space...
The answer to how long is a simple one ... work out how long it takes to sublimate entirely the amount of OA you intend using (needs a bit of experimentation and a stopwatch). The time it needs to be in there is sufficient time for the amount of OA to fully sublimate.

This will, obviously, vary depending on the amount of OA you use and the heat you allow to be produced by the blowtorch you have selected. Once you have these parameters firmly established - as long as they remain constant whilst vaping - you will know how long you need the Gasvap to be in place.

I think the scoop on the gasvap is a bit on the small side if you are using Apibioxal (because of the additives in it) - with generic OA the scoop gives about 1.5gm of OA with a level scoop (again - that also depends on the granularity of the OA - you really need to weigh the amount measured by the scoop of your OA and once you have established that weight you are going to keep it constant - be it one scoop, two scoops or 1.5 scoops).

Once you have established how much you are going to use, it's a good idea to have some small test tubes or containers and weigh out your OA in advance and then all you have to do is tip the pre-measured amount in to the pan. Saves a lot of time and uses less gas in the torch.

So the answer, as it often is in beekeeping, is - it's your decision, it needs a bit of judgement and when you have found something that works - stick with it.

Leavinng the gasvap in place longer than necessary is not going to do any particular harm but it does mean that the device is going to be hotter than it needs to be for longer. Taking it away too soon risks having sublimate still issuing from the Gasvap which you don't really want.

Hi all, good thread, although not seen much chat re RPE protection. Really for anyone new to vapping a big consideration is to ensure you wear an appropriate face mask, for example, Sundstrom SR100 half mask with combination filter SR 229-2 ABEK1HGP3. Gas Vap works well I use it every time, the vapour cloud if inhaled it will damage your lungs . If you do breath in a cloud of the vap you won't do it a second time lol PS- also safety glasses, tend to find eyes a wee bit stingy after if I forget mine

It is one reason why I rarely use my GASVAP now, I prefer my pan type tools and my lightweight miniature battery's. I don't have to hold it and stay in close contact , I simply ste it up and move away up wind for a few mins until my phone alarm tells me time is up.

It is one reason why I rarely use my GASVAP now, I prefer my pan type tools and my lightweight miniature battery's. I don't have to hold it and stay in close contact , I simply ste it up and move away up wind for a few mins until my phone alarm tells me time is up.
I do exactly the same.

Latest posts

Back