Vaping newbie

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is normal procedure to do 3 vapes in Sept after the supers come off and then one vape in December....then repeat each year with no other treatments.
I am not familiar with normal procedure in UK, but in Sweden september is at least a month too late. They need three full winter generations without infestation. If they shut down in november there's no time. And the safety marginal is very thin with only these two treatments. It is easy to make a mistake with the treatment, and reinfestation from nearby colonies can also easily happen

Hoping to do the first vape over the weekend. I’ve got fondant on the hive...can it be left on or should it be removed?

Am I right in thinking you shouldn’t do certain varroa treatments with feed on the hives? What’s the reason for this?

Am I right in thinking you shouldn’t do certain varroa treatments with feed on the hives? What’s the reason for this?
Some manufacturers do recommend not to feed with their product - but it has nothing to do with contamination of the feed or any other reason really.
For example - the manufacturers of Apiguard recommend not to feed whilst treating. their rationale is that the bees will be too busy storing syrup to be moving around the hive, moving the apiguard around and ensuring it's spread everywhere - bit of a nonsense reason really.
When I used to use Apiguard I always fed at the same time as, due to heather and HB I had a rather narrow window for treatment effectiveness and getting the bees fed before winter set in. A more logical reason for not feeding whilst Apiguard on is, due to the fact you need an eke whilst treating, you are giving the bees an extra two inches of empty space above the brood nest - an ideal space for the bees to fill with free comb and syrup if you are feeding at the same time.

From what I’m gathering on this thread and on others that I’ve been trawling through is that vaping is...well...the best varroa treatment. Others seem to be less efficient and some can’t be used with supers on and/or allow the bees to build an immunity to them over time.

Why doesn’t everybody just vape as their sole varroa treatment?? It’s not that much more of a hassle is it...

From what I’m gathering on this thread and on others that I’ve been trawling through is that vaping is...well...the best varroa treatment. Others seem to be less efficient and some can’t be used with supers on and/or allow the bees to build an immunity to them over time.

Why doesn’t everybody just vape as their sole varroa treatment?? It’s not that much more of a hassle is it...
Exspense, I know quite a few association members who wouldn't have a clue about vaping OA.
Maybe there's a lack of training?

I know quite a few association members who wouldn't have a clue about vaping OA.
I know quite a few who haven't a clue about beekeeping either - some even profess to be teachers/mentors.

A few years ago at a bee health day I asked the bee inspector his views on vaping. He said it was not promoted by NBU for health and safety reasons, but admitted it was his own preferred treatment

I demonstrated my varrox at my local BKA nine years ago and quite a few of the younger beekeepers were instantly converted. Quite a few visited to see me vape my colonies that autumn. The issue has become somewhat clouded with the appearance of Apibioxal but you can find hacks for most things in life.

A few years ago at a bee health day I asked the bee inspector his views on vaping. He said it was not promoted by NBU for health and safety reasons, but admitted it was his own preferred treatment
Yes indeed. My SBI and I have had parallel conversations

I know quite a few who haven't a clue about beekeeping either - some even profess to be teachers/mentors.
You aiming that at me? Because if so how would you know how competent I am, by reading my posts. :laughing-smiley-004:laughing-smiley-004

Latest posts

Back