INSTANT VAP

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I brought 1 a month or so ago and have to say it’s brilliant. Super fast ultra convenient and very easy to use. The whole unit feels very solid and well put together, about 2 days after I got it I actually dropped the vap on the garage floor nozzle first, didn’t even bend😂
I picked up the silicone nozzle and cleaning caps at the show and it appeared Duncan was very busy…. I’ve not met him before fyi!
I did suggest to Duncan I thought it a little heavy on the battery life but he suggested operating it as described in the video below.
All in it’s a brilliant bit of kit imo, whilst the review below focuses on winter use and suggests packing it up for the summer. I think there’s plenty of options for all season use, swarms/nucs 1 shot for anything broodless! Also not a bad idea for cell raisers or drone raising colonies.

I bought an Instantvap in January this year to replace my Gasvap, and I have to report that I also find it absolutely fantastic to use, really well designed and made, quick and easy to use and feels
like it's going to last a while.......time will obviously tell on this point!

I did have a teething issue and was in contact with Duncan about this. He was extremely helpful and we quickly got to the root of the problem, which turned out to be the
Oxalic acid itself, so as a cautionary tale....I was getting all sorts of blockages and drippy grey gunge oozing out of the nozzle while attempting to vape. After cleaning out and vaping into free air the machine seemed to work fine but just got blocked with gunge again with subsequent vapes.....suffice to say I was quite alarmed having parted with a fair slice of cash!

Firstly I was using a nozzle extension which we thought may be causing the problem and although removing this didn't prevent the problem, it may have been adding to it.

I had bought a generic OA on the net and Duncan recommended that I try APC pure OA, which after cleaning out the gunge I did, and the performance was transformed!
I've had no further issues since using APC pure OA:). I'm sure that there are other OAs out there which are also suitable, but I now know this one works fine. I can only guess the original stuff
was not as pure and obviously has some 'other' gunge creating substances in it.

On battery usage, with a 4Ah, I warm mine up to temp on one battery and then use a fully charged battery around the colonies, of course the higher the Ah rating the longer the performance,
6Ah warm up and vape 11 colonies with hardly any voltage drop.

I bought an extra dispenser as it's really handy to have one set for nuc's and the other for full size boxes and the unit's handle doubles as a convenient carrier for the dispenser which is not in use, very well thought out(y)

I bought an Instantvap in January this year to replace my Gasvap, and I have to report that I also find it absolutely fantastic to use, really well designed and made, quick and easy to use and feels
like it's going to last a while.......time will obviously tell on this point!

I did have a teething issue and was in contact with Duncan about this. He was extremely helpful and we quickly got to the root of the problem, which turned out to be the
Oxalic acid itself, so as a cautionary tale....I was getting all sorts of blockages and drippy grey gunge oozing out of the nozzle while attempting to vape. After cleaning out and vaping into free air the machine seemed to work fine but just got blocked with gunge again with subsequent vapes.....suffice to say I was quite alarmed having parted with a fair slice of cash!

Firstly I was using a nozzle extension which we thought may be causing the problem and although removing this didn't prevent the problem, it may have been adding to it.

I had bought a generic OA on the net and Duncan recommended that I try APC pure OA, which after cleaning out the gunge I did, and the performance was transformed!
I've had no further issues since using APC pure OA:). I'm sure that there are other OAs out there which are also suitable, but I now know this one works fine. I can only guess the original stuff
was not as pure and obviously has some 'other' gunge creating substances in it.

On battery usage, with a 4Ah, I warm mine up to temp on one battery and then use a fully charged battery around the colonies, of course the higher the Ah rating the longer the performance,
6Ah warm up and vape 11 colonies with hardly any voltage drop.

I bought an extra dispenser as it's really handy to have one set for nuc's and the other for full size boxes and the unit's handle doubles as a convenient carrier for the dispenser which is not in use, very well thought out(y)
Hi…… just to say all those using pure oxalic are obviously using it to distribute it on the wood before scrubbing off!!!!!!!!! Purely to enhance its natural appeal.

Those wishing to treat for varroa need to use approved apiboxal only….. By the sound of it and marks issues he may have already been using it already😂

Hi…… just to say all those using pure oxalic are obviously using it to distribute it on the wood before scrubbing off!!!!!!!!! Purely to enhance its natural appeal.

Those wishing to treat for varroa need to use approved apiboxal only….. By the sound of it and marks issues he may have already been using it already😂
Of course I was using it for bleaching!.....will have to continue with the gurgling gungey Apibioxal for Varroa treatment obvs;)

I have used the instantvap now on my hives for winter treatment, I would say its amazing. I can stand back safely as it vapourizes into the hive, as the unit holds well inside my langsthroth hive. Making it even safer to use. Also quicker then my previous Vaporiser (Oxalika). Refill is quick and easy, and my hands did not even come contact with the treatment. As soon as one treatment is complete you can refill quickly within a second and do the next treatment. I have used the 2g per treatement as recommended by the manufacturer. There are already some YouTube Videos about people using the instantvap worth watching if you thinking about it.

Reactions: mwd
I run 14x12
Some colonies have had an extra round a month after the first. Is that a failure if the OAV, operator error, re infestation or something else?
The colonies with OMF show a good drop after OAV.
Perhaps a sugar roll a week after the last vape?

Sorry, APC pure means? This (below) is what I use I've seen on eBay.
It's a chemical supply company, does all sorts of stuff, very good in my experience eg for acetic acid amongst others.

It's a chemical supply company, does all sorts of stuff, very good in my experience eg for acetic acid amongst others.
Yes thats where I got my last lot of oxalic wood bleach from. Very handy letterbox sized pouches, a bit expensive but ok for the amount I need.:)

Yes thats where I got my last lot of oxalic wood bleach from. Very handy letterbox sized pouches, a bit expensive but ok for the amount I need.:)
I bought my last lot from them but in a 5kg bucket for economy. I’m going to have some really clean hives this year! 😁

Latest posts

Back