Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Monbees 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
My post was a bit unclear - the photo shows the borage-type plant called Nonya on which the hairy-footed flower bee was feeding; the bees seem to ignore my white lungwort.

i keep this big patch of pale lemon 'borage' to make liquid fertilizer for the vegetable garden.

Last edited:

jenkinsbrynmair 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
first wave of willow catkins going over now. Blackthorn is blooming well and my damson trees are absolutely plastered with blossom.
Just in time for the cold snap :rolleyes:

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
The wind and cold overnight has blackened the leaves of dandelion, doesn't bode well for the early pollen bearing plants most of which are only just coming into life up here, luckily there is plenty of gorse around - when the wind drops.

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
The wind and cold overnight has blackened the leaves of dandelion, doesn't bode well for the early pollen bearing plants most of which are only just coming into life up here, luckily there is plenty of gorse around - when the wind drops.
Gorse is a saver at times, male pussy willow is only really getting going here blackthorn is on the clusp and the cherry was covered in bees yesterday at Corley here's a video. Cherry forage

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My post was a bit unclear - the photo shows the borage-type plant called Nonya on which the hairy-footed flower bee was feeding; the bees seem to ignore my white lungwort.

i keep this big patch of pale lemon 'borage' to make liquid fertilizer for the vegetable garden.
Is that a Pitcher Sage? Lepechinia?

StephenT 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I think this is Sycamore as I noticed a row of these trees a couple of streets away last year. Are these the start of the flowers and then they open fully once the leaves begin to come through?

Attachments

Beegarden 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
As far as I’m concerned that’s a good thing. I just wish winter would go away.
Here, here! I have never been so obsessed with checking the upcoming weather prediction. Sad, isn't it ......

Monbees 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
Number of Hives
Is that a Pitcher Sage? Lepechinia?
I don't think so Dani, looked it up and flowers are not blue, also no sagey smell. I've tried another photo which I hope shows a bit better the way the flower buds grow all the way up the stem and seem to flower from the top downwards. Each flower bud has about 12 flowers within each 'bud', two of which, at the top, are flowering with the others still to open. The photo also shows the white dimples on the leaves. The leaves are hairy/spikey and the plant is about .5m tall. It seeds very readily but I think each plant is perennial, or at least biennial.IMG_20210411_152000.jpg

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I don't think so Dani, looked it up and flowers are not blue, also no sagey smell. I've tried another photo which I hope shows a bit better the way the flower buds grow all the way up the stem and seem to flower from the top downwards. Each flower bud has about 12 flowers within each 'bud', two of which, at the top, are flowering with the others still to open. The photo also shows the white dimples on the leaves. The leaves are hairy/spikey and the plant is about .5m tall. It seeds very readily but I think each plant is perennial, or at least biennial.View attachment 25408
It’s Nonea lutea or yellow monkswort.
I asked a friend
So your “Nonya” was nearly there

Swarm 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 30, less than 100.
Dandelion pollen piling in.