What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My post was a bit unclear - the photo shows the borage-type plant called Nonya on which the hairy-footed flower bee was feeding; the bees seem to ignore my white lungwort.

i keep this big patch of pale lemon 'borage' to make liquid fertilizer for the vegetable garden.

Last edited:
The wind and cold overnight has blackened the leaves of dandelion, doesn't bode well for the early pollen bearing plants most of which are only just coming into life up here, luckily there is plenty of gorse around - when the wind drops.

The wind and cold overnight has blackened the leaves of dandelion, doesn't bode well for the early pollen bearing plants most of which are only just coming into life up here, luckily there is plenty of gorse around - when the wind drops.
Gorse is a saver at times, male pussy willow is only really getting going here blackthorn is on the clusp and the cherry was covered in bees yesterday at Corley here's a video. Cherry forage

My post was a bit unclear - the photo shows the borage-type plant called Nonya on which the hairy-footed flower bee was feeding; the bees seem to ignore my white lungwort.

i keep this big patch of pale lemon 'borage' to make liquid fertilizer for the vegetable garden.
Is that a Pitcher Sage? Lepechinia?

I think this is Sycamore as I noticed a row of these trees a couple of streets away last year. Are these the start of the flowers and then they open fully once the leaves begin to come through?

Attachments

• E4B829E8-2723-4B91-9A67-CDE4B161BE54.jpeg
    E4B829E8-2723-4B91-9A67-CDE4B161BE54.jpeg
    693.2 KB · Views: 30
It's a Maple
Thanks. Another one to add to the list of local trees good for bees.

Edit: Extract from a report detailing the trees in the area. Bee obsession leads to tree obsession.

Attachments

• A591B28B-DF8B-43E2-B6F5-5D0BB9B7C68F.jpeg
    A591B28B-DF8B-43E2-B6F5-5D0BB9B7C68F.jpeg
    549.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Hawthorne looking like it’s still a few weeks away. Just as well perhaps.

Attachments

• 3E92D392-846B-4255-A5F3-3D91CA07B252.jpeg
    3E92D392-846B-4255-A5F3-3D91CA07B252.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
This blackthorn was humming with bees when we walked along this footpath earlier today. 7 degrees and sunny. Two hours later we had a flurry of snow!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5972.jpg
    IMG_5972.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5972.jpg
    IMG_5972.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 16
Is that a Pitcher Sage? Lepechinia?
I don't think so Dani, looked it up and flowers are not blue, also no sagey smell. I've tried another photo which I hope shows a bit better the way the flower buds grow all the way up the stem and seem to flower from the top downwards. Each flower bud has about 12 flowers within each 'bud', two of which, at the top, are flowering with the others still to open. The photo also shows the white dimples on the leaves. The leaves are hairy/spikey and the plant is about .5m tall. It seeds very readily but I think each plant is perennial, or at least biennial.IMG_20210411_152000.jpg

I don't think so Dani, looked it up and flowers are not blue, also no sagey smell. I've tried another photo which I hope shows a bit better the way the flower buds grow all the way up the stem and seem to flower from the top downwards. Each flower bud has about 12 flowers within each 'bud', two of which, at the top, are flowering with the others still to open. The photo also shows the white dimples on the leaves. The leaves are hairy/spikey and the plant is about .5m tall. It seeds very readily but I think each plant is perennial, or at least biennial.View attachment 25408
It’s Nonea lutea or yellow monkswort.
I asked a friend
So your “Nonya” was nearly there

Latest posts

Back