What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the Democratic People's Republic of Oklahoma, dandelions bloom year round, but spotty. They will not help my bees much. I do understand as you go up north, they are becoming a major pollen source. Ironically, (one of my students said "Irony" is an adjectival form of the noun "iron" [pronounced as "arn" around here]) the further north you go, the longer the nectar flow. For instance, Canada produces more honey than USA. Go figure. So overall, considering this give and take, things are fair in the global village, I guess.
This is starting to be as useful as a certain antipodean poet philosopher we used to know.

In Oklahoma, dandelions bloom year round, but spotty. They will not help my bees much. I do understand as you go up north, they are becoming a major pollen source.
Here in UK dandelions give yellow wax, orange pollen and decent if smelly honey. I got a good crop of dandelion honey last year. Still have some left; crystallises quickly but not as quickly nor as hard as OSR (Canola)

Spotty in the sense of "rare" or "scarce." On the shoulder of the blacktop where I run, I see them opened even in the depth of winter. Interestingly, the height of the flower matches the height of the dead grass surrounding it, but after blooming, the clever dandelion shoots it stem up to send of its paratroopers all over the world.

Rosemary flowering in the front garden and was happy to see a few bees on it.

Aye, our lavender has been flowering for a wee while now. Primula doing well, Saxifrage and Aubrieta opening up.

Surprised to see bees collecting pollen from my box hedge. The hedge has been there for 10 years or more and l've never noticed bees on it before.
You will be watching the box hedge with keen eyes from now on.
This is flowering up here even at 1640ft
Common lungwort I took this yesterday the girls are making it hum today.
We are exactly 7 days behind compared to 2020IMG_20210328_141311.jpg

You will be watching the box hedge with keen eyes from now on.
This is flowering up here even at 1640ft
Common lungwort I took this yesterday the girls are making it hum today.
We are exactly 7 days behind compared to 2020View attachment 25102
We get the Hairy footed flower bee all over ours at this time of years..

I would be interested to know why the bee in the photo is collecting nectar from the pink flower and not the blue??
Don't the pink flowers turn blue when they go over.....a bit like the Horse chestnut yellow flower turns pink when pollinated?

Laurels flowering here atm let’s hope the majority of the flowers wait till this cold spell passes. It’s a real bonus in my area pollen and nectar.

Latest posts

Back