What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Particular dearth of blackthorn here, perhaps the annual massacre of hedgerows by the farmers has something to do with it.
Hellebores and celandine still good. Hoping for a better bramble year this year.

Went for a 'guaranteed dry' walk today at NT Ickworth (the footpaths round these parts are horribly muddy). The tall, c. 4m, hedges lining the approach road south from the A14 were spectacularly white with blackthorn. Sunny ++. T 9C. When we got back home at noon my bees were bringing in loads of pollen, T 10C, the first bees flying for more than a week. It's been very cold and windy here for ages.

Same here (just a few miles away). Several casualties at the front of the hives, loaded with pollen, but didn't quite make it back into the nest.

During my workout in the hood today, I saw sand plums, wild pears, daffodils, dogwood, and Bradford pears popping up. Accordingly, my bees were hauling in lots of dull-yellow and bright orange pollen packed in their goulashes. I am located in the heart land of the People's Democratic Republic of Oklahoma. Howdy!

Well that’s another year all the crocuses have been and gone before the bees got to them. :confused:

Last edited:
one of the first early sources of pollen
That sounds like Red Maple in my area which blooms, usually, in the first week of February. But this year, a record breaking polar vortex came down from Siberia and the Canadian Arctic, and stayed in our region for nearly three weeks, breaking records. Brrrrrr. It felt like living under the imagined nuclear winter gray after the fallout. So Red Maples are now blooming, having been delayed. Similarly, my plums in the backyard usually pop on March 1st, but not this year. Now it is playing possum, having been burned once.

Well that’s another year all the crocuses have been and gone before the bees got to them. :confused:
The bees got out on them for a few days. I have a couple of thousand in the apiary. A few years ago I planted some late ones but they seem, now to come up earlier and earlier

Similarly, my plums in the backyard usually pop on March 1st, but not this year.
Mine once popped moving a twenty kilo bale of cocaine on deck, I had to be stretchered ashore and wear a special belt for months.

The bees got out on them for a few days. I have a couple of thousand in the apiary. A few years ago I planted some late ones but they seem, now to come up earlier and earlier
All mine had started flowering early/mid Feb, by last week all done and finished.

Latest posts

Back