What's flowering as forage in your area

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sticky boards have been showing pollen has come in. Also some colonies gained 5+ lbs in weight around Xmas / new year period.
Are your weekly weight checks showing much variation at the moment. Mine have just started to lose some weight.
I gained about that much then too!!

Mirabel, Blackthorn, Goat Willow, Grey Willow, Red dead nettle, dandelion

Never seen so much sloe blossom as this year. The hedges are all white round here!

Lemon having another burst.
Both our lemons are in full blossom. We had about 40 lemons off them this year. Every one locally made lemon curd using our lemons. They are so juicy compared with shop ones! Had a whole one on two pancakes last night!yummy!

Caught this lazy bee on our Mahonia, just a few metres away from the hives. Laurel in full flower in the area - is this a good source of nectar and pollen as couldn't see any bees on it? Cherry/plum pretty much over but the Horse Chestnut flower spikes on trees on the Common are just beginning to form. Must stop looking at them as a watched pot never boils.

Attachments

• IMG_5463.jpg
    IMG_5463.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 6
Thank you for this Newbeeneil; following this link l was able to identify for the first time, two female hairy-footed flower bees on a plant I was told is called Nonya, a type of borage I think, although I haven't been able to find reference to any plant by this name. These bees are always around this plant but interestingly they seem to ignore my variegatedNonya.jpg lungwort (white flowered variety).

Last edited:
That's a nice spread of White Lungwort, I have a pinkish one on part of my rear garden and have spilt it in to four and replanted on the weeded part of my rear garden. It doesn't take long to perk up again once split and replanted, all should eventually spread again to create forage for all insects.

Latest posts

Back