What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have 1 hive that has died so I have a spare hive that I can use for the transfers.
Do you know why the colony died? Whatever reason it's a good idea to make sure the inside is clean before using it again.

You could paint that one first, then you'll be ready to do the others when the weather's warm enough to transfer the bees.

The consensus seems to be they starved and/or had a poorly mated autumn queen. No signs of disease. Will clean and paint that one first and start doing the transfers in conjunction with first inspections once it's warmer. Thanks for all the advice

I've done nothing in the apiary ! Heavy hail stone here! And nothing better promised -(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've done nothing in the apiary ! Heavy hail stone here! And nothing better promised -(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Warm Tuesday (9C) so watched bees gathering in pollen. My poly hive had lots of orientation flights- maybe early brood? Dunno.
Hail today and 5C so making vortex extractor board at vast expense (£0) from scrap wood.

I use the rhombi ones :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, hail and strong winds from the north west here. Big waves and white horses out on the Tamar.

Ooops, hail has stopped and sun shining but still only 6.8°

CVB

Very breezy down here on the Costa del Fareham, bouts of heavy rain interspersed with the occasional glimmer of sun. One or two brave girls still out and about and crocus pollen ? coming in. Had a quick look through the clear crown boards - plenty of active bees in all the hives, hefted - still a good deal of weight in all the colonies. Looking good as we leave official winter and head into official spring ...

Its been really mild in Northumberland for the past few days, the bees have been pretty busy and they love the crocus I planted even though only the yellow ones have popped up for now, I checked the inspection tray and they was 4 seams of dark wax capping's towards the middle of the brood box but not a single varroa , I also seen a bumble be which was interested on the dwarf iris bulbs I planted.
I took some pictures but I can't get them up on this pc if I remember I will stick them up in a day or two.

We have had four seasons on one day today! Temperatures as low as 3C, so I decided to tile the floor of the utility room - would have far preferred to have sat watching the bee's fly in and out.

Fondant memories..........

Took advantage of the dry, calm day and checked all my colonies for fondant - glad I did as 2 were completely out. Switched to Neopoll fondant and hoping it will give them a boost - seemed to work well last year at around this time.

Noticed one thing though - the winter fondant I had previously been using (for the first time) from a certain US company had started to go mouldy so won't be buying that again!!! I'll use the same I have used in previous years and not be swayed by the 'bargain' price tag / 'special offer'.... you get what you pay for indeed........

Received a small order from Panes today. Sadly the free chutney jar was broken. Smelt nice. Anyone tried it?
Cazza

I know but bog standard fondant is only feeding them with the bare minimum- and it tends to go rock hard in my experiences........ I could spend time making up a solution with glycerine and thymol but for a few quid it doesn't weigh up for me personally..... A major seller selling fondant that goes mouldy though... that IS wrong in my opinion......... better stick with T**nes... or Pa**es methinks..........

Last edited:
I know but bog standard fondant is only feeding them with the bare minimum- and it tends to go rock hard in my experiences........ ...

Wrapped in plastic with appropriate entry holes and it's OK I find..

Aye, but even triple wrapped in cling film with small holes it still ended up rock hard and unusable in the past with me - maybe previous winters have been harsher but I decided it was not really fit for purpose because of that....... or maybe that there's more heat overall in a TBH than a National, just guessing......... having said that, it may have been rock hard fondant, but at least it didn't go mouldy!!

Last edited:
Not in my Bee Yard...but in my kitchen. Starting building my wax melter today. I found they sold small pieces of tin in B&Q. I still need a lid but a rummage around the wool pile might solve that!
OH is away...so I have access to all his DIY tools too....and his boxes of screws...tin cutters.....pliers...you name it .....my sticky little fingers will find it!

Latest posts

Back