What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not robust/durable enough for my liking.

Thanks HM. I did wonder about that, having used a few plates for nucs but, if I can get some to cover just a few roofs, I will have to be more restrained and be a little more delicate in their handling than I usually am...or I might try to find a dead caravan.

Nipped in to allotment Apiary where have reduced just down to one hive, all others nearby in convent grounds, to find at last !! They heeded our concerns and moved site from shade under trees.

Looks like I have another decent site, albeit shared, with associated complications that brings, but plan a separate kit bag to prevent any cross transmission.

Slapped a full 2.5 kilo fondant bag on them as security . Looking good !

Nice pictures. Are teh hives painted? If poly they should be to avoid UV damage.

You are very brave having bright white hives: an invitation to theft or damage or worse...in my view.

I agree white is too conspicuous and yes poly should be painted to protect the skin.

PH

ah, i see.

i thought painting was optional.

How can i paint them now they are full of bees??

Watched two hive we had in my garden for a while, didn't see any pollen coming in but they were quiet active, the odd dead be being removed by eager workers.

Discovered that I am actually quite adept at building frames. Done about 50 so far. Slightly unnecessary but once I get on a roll I can't stop lol

Got the brood box and everything set for Kath (hedgehog) who has very kindly offered to hang onto my girls until the apiary is ready. Have a slightly sore thumb but hey lol

You are very brave having bright white hives: an invitation to theft or damage or worse...in my view.

It's north Wales!!
I'd be more concerned with the locals getting excited about the strange white boxes, lighting a bonfire at midnight and dancing naked around the hives with ivy woven in their hair!!

Have you been spying on my hives?

It's north Wales!!
I'd be more concerned with the locals getting excited about the strange white boxes, lighting a bonfire at midnight and dancing naked around the hives with ivy woven in their hair!!

I almost fell off my chair when was reading.. Not to mention hot coffee in front of my nose.. :smilielol5:

ah, i see.

Easily. masonry paint, wait for a calm day paint in late pm when bees not flying and rain not forecast, paint dries overnight.

Easily. masonry paint, wait for a calm day paint in late pm when bees not flying and rain not forecast, paint dries overnight.

Ah. Easy as that. thanks for the advice.

Will get that done pronto when there's no chance of rain.

Doesnt stick the boxes together or anything?

ah, i see.

Are they all the same.....can't see the photo?
If they are then you buy an extra hive....go on, you know you want to ;)
Paint that and rotate the colonies.

ALL colonies flying in the sunshine today, even the one that I thought was in trouble. It still might be but it warmed my heart :)

Ah. Easy as that. thanks for the advice.

Will get that done pronto when there's no chance of rain.

Doesnt stick the boxes together or anything?

As long as you don't apply too much paint round the joints, you should be ok...Masonry paint tends to chip - the first time you open up you may require more effort but after that should be fine.

(Of course , you could cut a very narrow (4-5mm) strip of masking tape around each joint which will keep the joints unpainted and prevent paint leakage between the two surfaces .. this may be hardly worth it.. Or alternatively paint one box carefully up to but excluding the joint and do the same with the upper one.. You'll need a fine brush, a steady hand and lots of time.. and not drip paint...)

I painted my polyhive with Hammerite Garage Paint in a fetching shade of green. Despite masking , paint crept AND the boxes stuck together- I had to vaseline the joints AND it took a week to dry in winter... NOT one of my better ideas although teh paint now 3 years old still looks superb...

Well, I have 1 hive that has died so I have a spare hive that I can use for the transfers.

I will wait for the weather to warm up and get on with painting them a dashing jaguar green to blend in with the holly hedge.

You've got me all paranoid they are gonna get stolen now!

At least they are alive and kicking and by the looks of it, nice strong colonies...

Latest posts

Back