What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi drex, where can you get printers plates large enough for a national roof? I've only been able to source small ones, (A4 prints, I think), big enough for a nuc but not a full roof...ta

I asked around local printers without success but was advised to try a printing company in the next town. I had to sweet talk the printer as all his used plates went to a contracted collection service. In the end I got 5 plates off him for £15. I couldn't see any signs of use on them so they could have been unused.
Must take a couple of jars of honey if I need any more :)

Surprisingly, as it was cold, lots of bees out. First time the water carriers were out in force in my garden, so they must be brooding.

Put three hives back together that had been kicked off their stands by the terrified alpaccas as they were being mauled by three huskies on the loose.

Outcome on the alpaccas not known... one dead some others in kid may abort.

No idea if bees will survive it as been a cold day.

**** day really!

Nos da

Put three hives back together that had been kicked off their stands by the terrified alpaccas as they were being mauled by three huskies on the loose.

**** day really!

Nos da

The dog owners want shooting.

**** day really!

Nos da
Yes, there was an article about this on country file last night. very interesting and many dog owners are probably not aware, that if given the chance their animals would run a mock and cause premature births of lambs, if they still could run!!

Shocking!! When i was younger i used to laugh at a character in Viz Magazine, called Farmer Palmer, who was always blasting dogs with his shotgun "coz they were worrying me sheep" how correct he was!!

Yes, there was an article about this on country file last night.

Good to see them being active in hammering home the message - and that the police have changed their attitude which, a few years ago was, even though the farmer was well within his rights to shoot any dogs loose on his land, the eejits would go ahead and prosecute the farmer!
One bit of daftness was the advice to put the dogs on the lead if they saw animals in the field, then leave them loose again if there wasn't - NO! if you must go wandering about on someone's land with a dog - KEEP IT ON A LEAD AT ALL TIMES same as her advice to farmers to put notices up to warn people there were sheep in the fields! :hairpull: Only one notice needed:

Any dogs found loose in the fields will be shot!

WOOOPEEEE... we now have a Crime number!!!

Dogs were " let out" for the day as owners thought it was unfair to keep them in when they went to work!

I am going to buy me a gun.... any suggestions?

Quite fancy an M16.

Yeghes da

Sold the bulk of the bees. Sighs.

Made a new beekeeper very very happy!

We have whippets and if we are weekending in the motor home and there are sheep nearby they are leaded and we use the walks to heel train and the boys love it. The farmer by Friden a couple of years ago put up photos of his worried sheep with guts hanging out. We are NOT going to be responsible for that kind of misery.

PH

Last edited:
I asked around local printers without success but was advised to try a printing company in the next town. I had to sweet talk the printer as all his used plates went to a contracted collection service. In the end I got 5 plates off him for £15. I couldn't see any signs of use on them so they could have been unused.
Must take a couple of jars of honey if I need any more :)

Thanks GJ

Hi drex, where can you get printers plates large enough for a national roof? I've only been able to source small ones, (A4 prints, I think), big enough for a nuc but not a full roof...ta

They are hard to come by. My mate is a printer and does not have plates big enough (his make nice nuc roofs though) so he asks round fellow printers and usually gets a few for me.

WOOOPEEEE... we now have a Crime number!!!

Dogs were " let out" for the day as owners thought it was unfair to keep them in when they went to work!

I am going to buy me a gun.... any suggestions?

Quite fancy an M16.

Yeghes da

Nothing fancy needed - if you don't want to go down the FAC route (pretty hard to get 'dog destruction' on the ticket) 12 bore 2 3/4 inch chambers - use a hard hitting cartridge throwing 42 grams of no1 shot will do the trick every time

They are hard to come by.

Still easy enough to acquire in this area at the moment, usually pick up 200+ of the large sheets each year, and give 50p each for them, not so keen anymore on using them to cover full size hive roofs though, but they do come in handy for other things at times.

They are hard to come by. My mate is a printer and does not have plates big enough (his make nice nuc roofs though) so he asks round fellow printers and usually gets a few for me.

Still easy enough to acquire in this area at the moment, usually pick up 200+ of the large sheets each year, and give 50p each for them, not so keen anymore on using them to cover full size hive roofs though, but they do come in handy for other things at times.

Thank you both. I'll try our local printer to see if they can assist. As a matter of interest, HM, why aren't you keen on them anymore for full size roofs?

Latest posts

Back