What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to visit my neglected colony - a swarm I rescued last year that live a mile down the road in a suburban garden. Seems by the time I've driven 7 miles to visit my farm bees and then checked my fave hive here at home I usually decide to visit my swarm hive later....... Well later came yesterday. And they are alive and well - phew! Hadnt touched their fondant which was rock hard - but hive felt light - so swopped old stuff for some nice soft candipollen I had in my kit.

Still not got to drive my new bee mobile van yet. Not even a test drive. OH keeps taking it to work where it sits in a car park all day.

Not in my Bee Yard...but in my kitchen. Starting building my wax melter today. I found they sold small pieces of tin in B&Q. I still need a lid but a rummage around the wool pile might solve that!
OH is away...so I have access to all his DIY tools too....and his boxes of screws...tin cutters.....pliers...you name it .....my sticky little fingers will find it!

Make sure you put them back where you found them.
It sometimes may look a mess, but we know where everything is.:nono:

Ha ha.....mostly his stuff is in a mess but some is in plastic storage boxes. Since he is always asking me where to find things....I have no fears of being found out. I shall act innocent and say....oh that...it's where you left it! Works all the time. One of the advantages of getting older is that you get to ask where things are instead of having to search for them.....and blame your memory loss!

A friend of mine was getting serious grief from his wife about the state of his workshop. He calmly pointed out he knew where everything was but if someone broke in they would spend so long looking for thievable items they wouldn't get much.

P S don't forget to wipe the blood of the tools if you're playing with tin. :)

I know but bog standard fondant is only feeding them with the bare minimum

No it's not - it's got everything the bees need - sugar! the rest is just snake oil - there to gull the gullible :)
Don't take my word for it:

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36105

Can't say I've ever had the fondant go rock hard from just sitting there - but that's the rub - I put it on after Christmas when it's needed, not in October 'just in case'

Ha ha.....mostly his stuff is in a mess but some is in plastic storage boxes. Since he is always asking me where to find things....I have no fears of being found out. I shall act innocent and say....oh that...it's where you left it! Works all the time. One of the advantages of getting older is that you get to ask where things are instead of having to search for them.....and blame your memory loss!

Don't you just happily share stuff?

Don't you just happily share stuff?

Oh yes...I am a great sharer....but he is very protective of his DIY stuff. Especially if it gets broken or damaged when lent.....when I look at the jumble....I wonder how any of it survives! I used to have a full set of DIY goodies .....all meant for small hands to use but he pinched them and now all that is left is a screwdriver with lots of bits for fitting into the screws, a small hammer. And an electric jigsaw. It's amazing how often I see him using them....mainly because he knows where I keep them!
I now have a brood box with a sloping tin shelf to put the wax on. It is shaped to drop the wax into a container below. I have decided to use the solid floor for the base...I will prop it a bit so water can run out. The entrance can be where the pipe from the steamer enters. And a piece of celotex for the lid.
Just off to my fave store for some celotex for the lid and some plastic pipe for another job. Must get it finished before Saturday afternoon....OH is back and I need time to stand at the door of the tool shed and throw in all the tools I used....tee he!

Chucked about 20 barrow loads of wood chipping down for the path to my out apiary, no bees showing cold and damp here today.
It seems a long winter this one as I am itching to get stuck in.

It's the first week in March for crying out loud - where do you think we are? Tuscany?

we haven't even had any serious snow yet. This kind of weather at this time of year is better than normal!!

It's the first week in March for crying out loud - where do you think we are? Tuscany?

we haven't even had any serious snow yet. This kind of weather at this time of year is better than normal!!

Ah....but for many of us this winter has been a continuation of the previous one with warmer rain for a few months in between....
Personally...if some Tuscan weather chose to come to Wales for the next decade....I wouldn't grumble at all!

Had a bash at solo-lighting my smoker in the back yard. It went well, just going to grab some damp grass now to put it out. I really must learn to think ahead.

Went for my first attempt at adding foundation to my 8 million frames I feel I have built. Learned that I probably need a smaller hammer, although the ten brood frames I did have turned out as well as they could considering my evident inability to build anything further tan a lasagne.

I have one super that is 1mm off square, problem is I had already glued it so it won't move. That won't be a problem will it?

:thanks:

I have one super that is 1mm off square, problem is I had already glued it so it won't move. That won't be a problem will it?

Only for you ...because every time you look at it and it appears not to be quite sitting square on the top of the hive you will SEE it ... and your OCD will kick in and eventually you won't be able to stand it any more and you will either knock it apart and square it up or consign it to the darkest recess of the bee shed where you will keep it shamefully on the basis that one day you might need to use it - but you never will.

I have a City in Guilds in ... I wish I had measured that better ... so I feel best qualified to answer your question rather than the sloppy individuals telling you it WON'T MATTER ...

Plug the spout and lay the smoker on its side, it will go out in no time.

Yeh that ... I just have an old cork I whittled down to shove in the spout .. goes out in no time .. just don't pick it up too soon or put it down on anything that might melt ! (Been there, done that, got the T-shirt !).

Latest posts

Back