What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took hive cosy off Lang nuc to show a visiting beek how it is made. Crownboard warm - so brood present...

There is thousands of wild snowdrops around my hive Erica but the bees don't bother with them.

In my experience if the sun shines on them they are there. We have gorse about 100m away but the weather has been so windy....
The bees have been on the crocuses...yellow, white then purple ;) when the sun shone.

In my experience if the sun shines on them they are there. We have gorse about 100m away but the weather has been so windy....
The bees have been on the crocuses...yellow, white then purple ;) when the sun shone.
Now you mention Gorse there is a patch around 100yrd's away and the bees fly over in that direction,80% of the snow drops are in full sun but they fly over them, they may have found a better patch though on the other side of the stream. ? .

Now you mention Gorse there is a patch around 100yrd's away and the bees fly over in that direction,80% of the snow drops are in full sun but they fly over them, they may have found a better patch though on the other side of the stream. ? .

Gorse is a great very early spring source of pollen. Hivemaker says its really good source, as the protein levels are high. I have loads around me, it looks fantastic at the moment, I only wish my bees could get to it, its been colder here over that last two weeks than any day since October, topsy turby really!!

Good year for snow drops we have plenty and loads of gorse in flower, But the bees seem to like the various flowering plants in my neighbours garden. Ah well as long as they are happy does it matter.

In the Bee Yard....checking the hives. Some hefting quite heavy....surprisingly....and others rather lighter but still heavy enough to have plenty of stores. Looked through the clear cover boards of a couple of hives as I hadn't seen flyers for while...but bees are in there....munching on the fondant.
Weather continues to be totally confusing...windy, wet cold, warm, hail, sunshine.
As soon as we get another dry spell....I am going to do a spring clean in the Bee Barn. OH needs to replace the roofing....which blew away during the awful storms we had. It's still water tight...so everything is OK. It's a job for when the wind dies down!
My wax melter is good to go.....so I will soon have some clean wax.
So looking forward to doing first inspections....finding out which queens survived....how strong the colonies are. We will be moving the stronger colonies into the Beehaus. I'm hoping to run 5 Beehaus and a Dartington this year. If my colonies can survive this winter/spring. It's going to be an interesting spring and summer.

Discovered that a quick post on the local Residents Association FB page brought me well over 20 people offering places for hives. Most were unsuitable as too close to other houses/visible etc.

I did find one lady though with a beautiful huge garden, mature fruit trees, raspberries, an abundance of crocus, passion flower, clematis and Ivy amongst a tonne of others. Only one immediate neighbour, but a good 30m from where hive is going to be placed. The lie of the land gives a 12ft+ wall/hedge which will send the bees well above head height. And its only round the corner from home.

This lady actually considered keeping bees herself a few years ago but her husband wasn't interested. She said that now he is no longer with us she would love some bees in the garden. She has a small pond with rocks in which she sees bees using to drink in the summer. Loads of nasturtiums for the bumbles too.

Looks good =)

Spent the morning with a French TV crew, recording a piece for a programme about Manchester. Prime time Saturday evening series, no less!

As the bee has long been a symbol of Manchester, and I am a beekeeping Manchester man of wit, erudition, wisdom and excessive modesty, they just had to have me on the programme.

It was a bit chilly, but I did have to check the fondant on the Cathedral hives, so me and my new best friend Sophie, lifted the lids just long enough to check all was ok.

Should be aired the back end of April, then put on MeTube.
If it's any good, I might share the link!

Dusty.

As the bee has long been a symbol of Manchester, and I am a beekeeping Manchester man of wit, erudition, wisdom and excessive modesty, they just had to have me on the programme........

......Should be aired the back end of April, then put on MeTube.
If it's any good, I might share the link!

Dusty.

As you have the right regional accent and the experience and the luvvy contacts ... now all you have to do is find a TV Producer looking to do a reality series about a man of the cloth and keeper of bees in the heart of Manchester (and get paid for it !) and you have the makings of a nice little earner on the side ... or a profitable retirement ...

JBM will be along shortly looking to handle the film rights ... I'm happy to ghost write the script as you will be busy shortly (Easter being early this year).

Suggestions as to someone photogenic who we could cast in your role will be welcomed ...

Proverbs 16:18 (there's always a kick in the teeth on here !!)..

Looking forward to seeing it though ...

Rather leary of TV crews.
"We are from TV. You should be glad that we're making a programme."
They get paid to make the item then sell it on.
Maybe they look for something quirky ... Bee beards and the like.

Miserable old sod

Suggestions as to someone photogenic who we could cast in your role will be welcomed ...

How about American football star and cult film classic actor John Matuszak? I think he may just be able to pull it off

Attachments

• sloth.jpg
    sloth.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 12
Oh Bliss...sunshine and no winds....all my colonies are out orientating and flying. Looks like I may have 5 to start the season....fingers crossed.

Dull coldish day, so decided to measure Crown board temperatures of all my hives using an IR thermometer to establish if brood present. Wooden hives with cosies unless otherwise stated

Ambient temperature at the roof of the hives: 8C.

National 1 19.7C (Cosy with 150mm roof insulation)
National 2 18.1C (Cosy with 100mm roof insulation)
Langstroth 1 18.4C (MB poly)
Langstroth 2 18.3C
Langstroth 3 11.0C (went into winter weak)
Langstroth 4 12.2C (went into winter strong)
Langstroth nuc 18.1C
TBH 10.1C (insulated )

I assume anything over approx 10C has some form of brood present. All langs are jumbos.

Will redo April . Takes aboout 10 minutes to do - mostly undoing ratchet straps..

Edit: once cosies are removed , it is essential to take temperatures quickly. After 30 seconds, there was a noticeable (1-2C) drop in hives with 18C + temperatures)

Last edited:
Sunny and calm.
Gorse is out up the hill and the Japanese Willow is just starting
Pollen going into four out of the five.
The quiet hive is probably a goner , though I can hear bees in there.
I'll look into that one soonest

Latest posts

Back