What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eleven degrees here today in Lancashire. Orange and white pollen being brought into the hives.
Lots of flying bees on such a lovely spring day. I was out gardening and saw the first open dandelion flower this season.

I didn't treat for varroa in the autumn so the bees may have been weak from that.

Was it just the dead outs that you never treated, or didn't you treat any of your colonies?

Did you do a winter oxalic treatment to any?

I didn't treat any of my colonies last august the days I was able to the weather was rubbish, this year I will make sure its done because I would say it made a big difference to the colonies. I treated all colonies with OA at the end of Jan since then I have lost 5 but some were weak before and some were very strong so couldn't say it was that.

they just dwindled over the last month all other hives left are really strong bar 1 or 2 which still seem a bit weak and may never pick up.

I didn't treat any of my colonies last august the days I was able to the weather was rubbish, this year I will make sure its done because I would say it made a big difference to the colonies. I treated all colonies with OA at the end of Jan since then I have lost 5 but some were weak before and some were very strong so couldn't say it was that.

they just dwindled over the last month all other hives left are really strong bar 1 or 2 which still seem a bit weak and may never pick up.

Our first day of calm sun and 12 degrees, lots of bees flying. very annoyed with myself, found two great Nucs, that two weeks ago, before the cold spell were flying well an bringing in lots of pollen. Pile of dead bees, heads in cells, and wafer light frames. God so Sickening. I lifted the nucs and they were heavy, but it wasn't heavy with sugar, for some reason the nucs and soaked up moisture.
Typically they were some of my best supposed genetics fir this year, i could kick myself Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.\ So i went and checked all the others, as i made time, cancelled appointment and juggled lots of frames of sugar in to hives that were light. Hope that will keep them going a little while longer, only forecasted to be 11 degrees all of this coming weekend, so still too cold for syrup feed in my books.
Suppose the only way of definite check is the hive tool jabbed in to the upper middle frame!! I could have easily saved them with candy!! Sometimes .........
:hairpull:

Last edited:
one of 3 things. Poorly mated queens, to much set ivy in the box its been warm but wet so bees haven't been able to get out and get water to be able to use the ivy honey, I didn't treat for varroa in the autumn so the bees may have been weak from that. Or it could be all 3.

Could be N ceranae as well as any of the other three?

I didn't treat any of my colonies last august .

I've been wrestling with tf philosophy for years and funnily enough, every autumn I've skimped on the thymol my winter losses have been elevated.
Bees with a high proportion of sickness struggle to get to that cross over point where the new young bees take over with vigour. My guess is that a handful more of the colonies I saw yesterday wont make it.

Looked under the roof in the two garden hives. One has nearly finished a pack of fondant, the other has barely touched theirs. Wooden hive appeared to have more bees than the poly hive from looking through the clear crownboards

Swapped rock hard fondant for candipolline I found lying about in the shed on one hive I know is light.
Weather is better tomorrow so I'll be looking into the colony that's not flying but I can hear bees. Not holding out much hope but have a dummied down poly nuc ready just in case.

Went to visit a fellow 'Beeks' apiary today, nice cup of tea and a long chat about bees, his Polystyrene hive was flying well but the wooden one as as well, I wonder if the difference in material makes a difference?

Its been the warmest day of the year so far in this neck of the woods, so I took the cosy of and stuck some fondent in that I made just to be on the safe side, for all the bees are piling natural pollen in today they was still a very large number of bees on the crown board it was covered in fact and a lot where tucking into the candipollen I put in there over a week ago.
I also had a walk around the surrounding area and witnessed the bees in good numbers on crocus / dwarf iris / anemone / gauze and yellow flowers similar to dandelion.

Getting ready to wave goodbye to my bees for three weeks as we're on our hols in warmer climes. Wondering what state they'll be in on my return. Hopefully brooding well and expanded.
Cazza

Popped to an out apiary this morning to block a hive that needs moving, planning on going back shortly so we can move it about 300 yards. The weather here is lovely, typical. Would have preferred rain or really cold, but and the positive side the bees are working like hell.

300 yards . Nice day ! Risky at the very least ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Checked my nuc at bro in laws...took cover off and bunged a slab of ultrabee on..looked really strong
Set up a dbl hive stand and put on a Payne's poly ready for the nuc...best day of the year so far

Lovely day.. so nice even my TBH hive is flying in waves of bees..

Loads of pollen here..willow will start soon.

Frogs in the valley 40 meters down in height have decided today is the start of mating time. Lots of bubbles. Our pond is still too cold..:-(

Latest posts

Back