What did I do so wrong?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No definite plan other than I extracted honey earlier this year so that I was able to do my varroa treatments earlier, thus leaving time afterwards for the Queen to lay up some new Brood.
(Sometimes varroa treatments stop the Queen laying).
I was careful how much I fed them to make sure the bees didn't fill the Brood space with stores.
And have continued to monitor their stores to make sure they don't starve.
I placed a small amount of fondant on each colony which I am using to help monitor.

Next year I may use oxalic acid vape rather than regular varroa treatments.

I did a very quick check of my colonies today and so far all is well.

One thing I did differently this year was leaving a super of honey on the big colonies instead of feeding syrup.
Since feeding stimulates laying, is it possible switching to adding the pre-filled super instead of feeding, meant that you went into winter with lower populations than in past years, in the hive set-up you usually use for a much larger colony?

Also, can you remember if you noticed a lot of walkers on the ground in the autumn, heading directly away from the hives? - sometimes a sign of high viral load due to varroa.

Would it be useful to people if the posters put the date on their emails. I'd like to know when Steve posted his first message.

Since feeding stimulates laying, is it possible switching to adding the pre-filled super instead of feeding, meant that you went into winter with lower populations than in past years, in the hive set-up you usually use for a much larger colony?

Also, can you remember if you noticed a lot of walkers on the ground in the autumn, heading directly away from the hives? - sometimes a sign of high viral load due to varroa.
I did feed some bought in syrup but didn't put it on until quite late,as there seemed to be a bit of a late flow, they definitely didn't go without food, I think the colonies that died out were stronger than last year to be honest.
It is a bit strange that the hives in the garden are all fine and they had exactly the same management.
I didn't notice any bees on the ground but probably wouldn't have seen them, the hives are on a bit of rough ground and the brambles I cleared in early summer soon grew back

What is your current over wintering method?
I could do some tips from local beekeepers.
The ones I have left don't look too good
Hi there.
I have Nationals, Langstroths and a few Warre, Hives here in the the Scottish Borders Region : Rural.

I've only lost x1 Hive (Nat) with an unknown aged Queen. [Nov '23]
Hive purchased as a Pair + Bees. . . (From a Retiring : Beek Couple.)
Last Summer was so Wet here, that I mainly left as much Stores as
I could. Enough taken (for a few
Jars) for me and Family. And the local Bee Assc Show. 😏
I equalled out the Weaker Hives, with a few carefully 'checked' Frames off Strong Colonies.*
Making sure their Queen* wasn't anywhere near on on said Frame !
Come late October, I took a look at each Colony re Size, Status, Stores etc. And made the Stronger Hives consilidate down to to Brood + Half Box status wise.
Any smaller than this was either a Full Box (Dummy-Down the outer Unused Frames by adding plenty of Capped Resources.
Adding only an 'extra' Deep Box (Shim for good top insulation purposes only) : Insulation Foam Block. With Centre rectangle Cut Out for placing Ample /or Topping up Dry Sugar.
Later in Feb, I will check / Peek at Bees 'crawling' re Activity. (Alive !?)
Then add a Slab of Bee Fondant.
In March, I will change it to a premade Fondant/Protein Slab. Or add Pollen Sub alongside remaining Fondant.
Then come, April, start feeding them some 1:1 Syrup. (We can get a last blast of Colder Weather being in a Hilly Area.) So liquid Feed given when Frosts are over.

I did an Oxalic "Trickle Treatment" to all Colonies, back in August.

Then now having Vaping Gear.Yes ! I then did an Oxalic Vape over x3 Weeks : (x Weekly space/Intervals.) at end of Nov, to 1st week of Dec.
(Previously I''d done these nearer to Christmas and New Year. But many suggest this is to late. V.M will have got a hold of the 'Colony' by then. . . 🙄)

I am Inland, by about x25 Miles from Costal Berwick upon Tweed.
(Just in the Scottish Borders.)
It's (fairly) dry here. Yes it Rains
but not as 'Dreich' (Dull/Wet) as what the West Coast experiences.
We do have it much Colder, Drier however.
So I guess : Good Hive Hygiene, good Feeding, using super Thick Top Insulation and a lot of hoping, will mean they come through. (🤞)
It has worked the last x3 Winters to date. (Alas the odd one will be lost.)
I guess down South, their are more Bee Populated Areas, with more transmission of V.M, etc etc. . . 👀

I always have several Poly Nucs with New(er) Queens, to hand, or available. (So I have enough "Starter" Material to make up any 'losses' come 'New Bee Season.'

I guess I am lucky : the Nearest Beek to me is over x10 Miles away.
So my Bees are somewhat 'or are' Isolated re V.M / Disease issues. Re : from other Bee keepers*.
(Those that are Registered or known* by, the Local Bee Assc.)

Raising my own Colonies, either Splits, or via "Queen Cell" use. As resulted in good Mated Queens.
The DCA's must be OK. [We have known Bee Breeder near by but that's still over x20 Miles away.]
So it must be the lay of the Land, the timing of Queen Rearing that's working. . . And Hive Genetics !?!
(Mainly Black Bees 60% with a Mongrel % in there also.)
(Over VQ's on 'Lunch Dates with AMM BB/Drones at Chain Bridge' !) Its to far South ! 🤭
It's a Fabulous place to see the Bee Establishment and Exhibition. . .
(A worthwhile experience and have a Cuppa !) Really worth a Visit !

Maybe not today. . . Its SO COLD 🥶 and it Snowed ! Think I need a Slab of Fondant (Sugar) and Thick Insulation (Covers) too. . . 😎

Hope you Recover from your losses and have lots of thriving Hives soon. (Spring is coming soon !🙃)

Latest posts

Back