What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My OH, who has arisen from his sickbed.....was getting some bags of wood pellets out of the leaning shed and he was stung by a wasp on the palm.....

Yesterday....in a break from cooking Christmas dinner (which I do every year)......went outside to the breeder hives all tucked up for winter and all were flying freely and some were bringing in a few flecks of dirty yellow pollen (still bits of ivy I suspect). A good clear out (of the bees insides) was underway.

Today.........not a bee out and snow all over the hives. Melting now but just had to dig out and refill the wax melter in driving sleet squalls.........YUK......cannot feel my feet they are so cold.

Christmas Day bees all flying.
Boxing Day 4C - not a bee out.

Weighed all hives. One weak nuc very light - being fed fondant but expect it to fail.
Checked varroa drops after sublimation- negligible.

Treated with oxalic at long last yesterday and took a call today about bees in a compost heap. Going to investigate on Wednesday but they swear blind there are still bees there!

Whyever not?

It's warm, waterproof, infact they should want for nothing more.

Might be good to give em a bit more top insulation & leave them until the spring.

Washboarding?

yes no maybe

The entrance reducer is made of correx folded over and over so that the open ends of the correx cells face out. They seemed to have work party out paying attention to that and the exposed end of the plywood board the hive sits on... Not classic wash boarding, but its not classic hive.
This was in the bright sunshine and despite the air temperature felt warm.

Theres a lot more going on around the entrance in terms of behaviour than I have read about. hence the enquiry

First time using my home made vapouriser - which seemed to work well. Plenty of smoke coming out of the bottom of the hive.

1cEcpoL.jpg

My thought too but that don't look like a super. Probably a large eke with insulation and the offending object is a crown board

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That's not a queen excluder is it.

Hope it is a crownboard with a super being used as an eke to allow the 2kilo slab of fondant some room.... or the 100mm of kingspan!!
Derek M will now tell us about the folly of using wooden crownboards on polly hives... thermally speaking... which is always interesting

Nadelik lowen

My thought too but that don't look like a super. Probably a large eke with insulation and the offending object is a crown board

I thought that also but i thought i would mention the Excluder just to be on the safe side.

Redwood beat me to it... my excuse.. arthu...rritus... although I have been stung so often in the past 60 years of failed beekeepering I should not be suffering!

Nadelik lowen

Latest posts

Back