What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Years Eve.......and working the wax melter....still. Had enough of it by now........but probably another 5 or 6 loads to go. Off out soon checking for storm damage. Its been a night with stuff crashing around outside.

Do you have a capping spinner? I bought one for last year's crop. Dry cappings go right in the melter as it comes from the spinner. I used the old "shovel and bucket" method for years. Messy, scorched honey, and still melting wax in December. What a nice change.

Do you have a capping spinner? I bought one for last year's crop. Dry cappings go right in the melter as it comes from the spinner. I used the old "shovel and bucket" method for years. Messy, scorched honey, and still melting wax in December. What a nice change.

We don't use a spinner other than as a filtration method post sump tank. All our cappings and chop outs go through a powerful press that recovers almost every last scrap of honey without and heat used, and the pretty dry pressings drop into crates at the end of the press, the honey comes out of holes perforated into the drum of the press and goes to the sump tank to rejoin the output of the extractors.

Its like a load of tacky dog biscuits ad it can be stored like that if wished for rendering at a convenient time.

Our wax melter got broken a year or so back when an idiotic staff member lifted it on its pallet with the forklift while it was plugged in to the three phase supply, headed off across the yard with it, completely ripping the guts out of it and the wall socket too.

Its a bespoke tank made for us by Carl Fritz in Germany, triple walled and insulted for operator safety, so unfortunately it took some time to get it repaired and we can only do the melting job at certain times of the year due to the smell attracting lots of bees and wasps. That's a bit of a problem but them taking a header into the molten wax being run off is a greater irritation. Takes about 48 hours to do one fill of the tank, all done outside to avoid the smell tainting stuff in the shed. The tank is sizeable but not huge, and we put about 18" of water in the bottom then fill it right up with the pressings, after a few hours they have sunk down rather and we top it up with more pressings. It melts away gently (to keep the wax in decent condition) all the next day, and by the morning of day three its all ready to run off.

Thus no wax was rendered from the 2015 crop and so I am doing two years wax at once. Just past 4 tonnes now all in blocks ready to go for milling, maybe half a tonne or a bit more than that still to go. Will be glad when it finishes, the smell hands around for a good while. Even in the supermarket this afternoon the couple behind we were wondering why they could 'smell honey'.

We don't sell the wax normally, it all goes to a leading company for milling into foundation which comes back to use, and we pay a certain fee per pound for the service, and its a lot cheaper than we could possibly do it ourselves even with a good wax plant.

Put fondant on all the hives ,Surprising how much wieght they have lost in the last few weeks.Quite warm here today so all the hives were out and flying.

Put fondant on all the hives ,Surprising how much wieght they have lost in the last few weeks.Quite warm here today so all the hives were out and flying.

3 months ago you fed 20 kg sugar and now stores are finish. 7 kg a month. Normal consumption is 2 kg/month.

Yes it doesn't make sense but then the weather has been abnormal .We've had very few frosts and the bees haven't really stopped at all.Now that the ivy has finished there isn't a lot for the bees.

the smell hands around for a good while. Even in the supermarket this afternoon the couple behind we were wondering why they could 'smell honey'. [/QUOTE said:
... and the rest. You got my sympathies. Gott Nytt Aar.

https://youtu.be/KFMAn5JjD0A

can you tell me what kind of bees are these I have them at my house but I dnt think tradition frame box hive will work the title is the youtube link above i need to post 10 times to put the link for the video in this part of the message for some reason

Last edited:
We made some fondants past two days ( 1st batch). Due being inactive from mid August-September ( multiple unfortunate reasons), I consider to give fondants soon. Maybe even tomorrow, usually I give them late January/ early February..

can you tell me what kind of bees are these I have them at my house but I dnt think tradition frame box hive will work the title is the youtube link above i need to post 10 times to put the link for the video in this part of the message for some reason

The structures dont look like wax in the video. Are they paper based? How sure are you that they are bees?
Maybe you could try putting some frames of foundation in as an experiment although I wouldn't be too hopeful the insects will be impressed.

Last edited:
I wasn't going to vape this winter but thought I would do it anyway as I was down the apiaries but I wish I had not bothered as might drop was as little as 6 and zero on the defensive hive which they all decided to come out after and do a bit of fanning on the landing board. Hives are still full to the brim with stores and even the buckies have enough stores to see them through the rest of the winter

Same here
I wasn't but did and got nothing on four hives and drops you could count on all fingers, if you had six on each hand, on the other two

Yesterday OA vaped all colonies as have a high enough drop rate to warrant it. A few flights here and there, but otherwise not much action outside of hives (though fair increase in noise after the OA).

Ordered frames, boxes, etc for coming year....

Weighed a couple of the lighter hives. Still ok
Then, Lordy Lordy spotted a Male Hen Harrier in the sky. What a treat!

Latest posts

Back