What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomorrow forecast is -26C.
Should I do something?

And strong wind...

In last Saturday it was +5C

Took a quick peek to see how the fondant supply was going, prompted by a recent email from the NBU alerting to the possibility of low stores due to higher activity levels in the warm winter. There's plenty left, so I left them to it.

Took a quick peek to see how the fondant supply was going, prompted by a recent email from the NBU alerting to the possibility of low stores due to higher activity levels in the warm winter. There's plenty left, so I left them to it.

I got that email and ignored it, did they not send the same one last year. ? .

A good wake up call for new Beekeepers who have gone to sleep over the winter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Don't remember - but it didn't hurt to take a look as it wasn't very cold today.

I'm only into my second winter but i do not need to take a look inside and i did not last year, last year they went into winter weighing 97lb this year 80+ pound, i weighed them a while back and not much had changed as they where still bringing pollen in, i will be weighing them next week though just to be on the safe side.

Awesome birds, they are too good at survival though and get persecuted for it on grouse moors.

Great bird. Not too sure about survival though? They are extremely rare are they not?

Checked hive weights using these 'screw-eyes' secured to the either side of the floor. Less than 30 seconds a hive.
No excuse for not keeping a check on stores.

image.jpg

Checked hive weights using these 'screw-eyes' secured to the either side of the floor. Less than 30 seconds a hive.
No excuse for not keeping a check on stores.

View attachment 13856

Perfect i do similar but with balance scales, i can never trust the digital kind but that is me being paranoid.

More like showing your age I think ;)
The need to see a needle move and indicate, I can understand that.

With digital kitchen scales i have found are ok for weighing small portions, but the heavier the weight you put on them the further they are out, i found this out when i used to fly a Harris Hawk and Goshawk, i had to weigh them daily, once i got over lets say 16oz the digital scales would read 2oz higher when i checked them with calibrated balance scale brass weights.

With digital kitchen scales i have found are ok for weighing small portions, but the heavier the weight you put on them the further they are out, i found this out when i used to fly a Harris Hawk and Goshawk, i had to weigh them daily, once i got over lets say 16oz the digital scales would read 2oz higher when i checked them with calibrated balance scale brass weights.

And when they conk out what do you do?
I use fishing scales....strangely they do not exaggerate

Latest posts

Back