What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m trying basil with the tomatoes in the tunnel this year. Last couple of years we’ve had marigolds that grow up like 3ft shrubs!

Oh, yes. I planted "dwarf marigolds" between my tomatoes last year and they ended up a similar size. And self-seeded everywhere. Never again.

Apparently the whole tomatoes/marigolds companion planting thing doesn't really stand up anyhow.

Basil is great though. We grew loads of it in the greenhouse last year and are still using it (open frozen and bagged). We did lose some of it to Cabbage Looper Moth(?) caterpillars, but not so much that I was going to panic about it.

James

Set up the new apiary adjoining my extraction suite. Was going to move some overwintered nucs from 100m away but they insisted on flying in 8 degrees. All are Jolanta’s autumn queens and seem strong. Just need some cold weather.

Last edited:
Was going to move some overwintered nucs from 100m away

I was hoping to move some hives a similar distance, but the forecast is for it to absolutely lash down overnight and a shed I've moved for my father-in-law to use was without a weatherproof roof, so I had to sort that as a priority. Only just got the roof done before the first raindrops started to fall. Moving the bees will have to wait for next weekend I think.

James

Been blowing a gale last few days but managed to get out and weigh my hives in a lull yesterday. Last month, across a dozen colonies, they used on average 1.7kg stores, got sufficient left, so no fondant added. All looked nice and strong through their clear crown boards. Topped up fondant on Nucs. Have roughly 50:50 WBCs and Polyhives. WBCs had used 1.8kg stores, Polyhives 1.5kg stores. Apiaries down in valley used 2.3kg, whilst at 1000ft at home, colonies used just 0.7kg. Evidence of more brood in the valley, just a small sprinkle of brown cappings on the varroa slider at home. Interesting, shows how bees adapt to their environment.

Yesterday was a bit warmer and I peaked a little.. Last weekend I saw 2 colonies on 2 seams.. and now on 5 seams ( must be deeper last time and now when is warmer they got more mobile. I am quite surprised but hazels are still offering pollen. Not that I complain, I just say..
Weather.. well due to these climate changes.. we can start thinking of growing bananas..

My friend and I decided to cut grass etc in the main apiary today. Loaded the car with the tools and travelled the half mile to the site. Andrew loves to mow so he started with the mower. I had to cut down a nuisance elder shrub and some branches off an over hanging willow. Andrew continued to mow and I set about strimming the awkward bits and the edge along the fence. It was a little warmer than Monday and I was aware of the odd passing bee.
Andrew comes rushing towards me in panic yelling that he has a bee in his ear. I downed tools and looked into the ear but could see no bee. He is still telling me it is there and he can feel it moving about and buzzing. I take a further look and can see no bee. He says all is quiet. I walk him towards the car to get my glasses to have a closer look. The movement and buzzing restart and the bee emerges from deep in his ear. I have never known it happen before. It had not stung him and just flew away. I dread to think of the consequences of a sting deep in the ear. We packed up and returned home. We will complete the task when it is a little colder.

Had a friend once who went on his motorbike to do a bit of early morning fishing, whilst at the river he had an insect enter his ear, he could feel it moving and hear the buzzing but he couldn't get it out, it was so bad the sound just filled his head and affected his balance. He struggled to ride his bike (very slowly) the eighteen miles home and went straight to old Dr Davies for assistance, the doc deftly syringed his ear, holding a kidney dish below it to catch the culprit.
He took the bowl to the window to get better light 'good God that's unbelievable!' exclaimed the Doc 'what' said Glyn, in a bit of a panic now as to what he'd seen - the doc looked up and said 'It's a pale watery dun - unheard of to see them hatching this early in the season!'

My friend and I decided to cut grass etc in the main apiary today. Loaded the car with the tools and travelled the half mile to the site. Andrew loves to mow so he started with the mower. I had to cut down a nuisance elder shrub and some branches off an over hanging willow. Andrew continued to mow and I set about strimming the awkward bits and the edge along the fence. It was a little warmer than Monday and I was aware of the odd passing bee.
Andrew comes rushing towards me in panic yelling that he has a bee in his ear. I downed tools and looked into the ear but could see no bee. He is still telling me it is there and he can feel it moving about and buzzing. I take a further look and can see no bee. He says all is quiet. I walk him towards the car to get my glasses to have a closer look. The movement and buzzing restart and the bee emerges from deep in his ear. I have never known it happen before. It had not stung him and just flew away. I dread to think of the consequences of a sting deep in the ear. We packed up and returned home. We will complete the task when it is a little colder.
He has my sympathy, I had a Devil's Coach Horse beetle in my year and had to get it removed in hospital. Not nice at all.
Always worth popping a veil on around the hives.

Just stood for 10 minutes or so watching all the colonies flying - nice bit of sunshine down here on the Costa del Fareham this lunchtime and they were all very busy - lots of orange coloured pollen on some very heavy pollen baskets being brought in.

I've stood and watched them thousands of times over the years but there is still an excitement at this time of the year when you know winter is just about on its way out and the bees are already building up (at least down here in mediterranean Hampshire it is) - It's too early to say they are all safely through and far too early to do much else than look on in wonder, but I really get a kick out of seeing them flying and busy.

It's that feeling you get when you get your first colony and see them flying for the first time - no matter how many colonies you have that excitement comes right back as the season starts again .... I know... sad isn't it ?

Just stood for 10 minutes or so watching all the colonies flying - nice bit of sunshine down here on the Costa del Fareham this lunchtime and they were all very busy - lots of orange coloured pollen on some very heavy pollen baskets being brought in.

I've stood and watched them thousands of times over the years but there is still an excitement at this time of the year when you know winter is just about on its way out and the bees are already building up (at least down here in mediterranean Hampshire it is) - It's too early to say they are all safely through and far too early to do much else than look on in wonder, but I really get a kick out of seeing them flying and busy.

It's that feeling you get when you get your first colony and see them flying for the first time - no matter how many colonies you have that excitement comes right back as the season starts again .... I know... sad isn't it ?
It's not sad I'm with you on that one

whenever I'm having a bad spell in 'the office' I usually just wander up the garden and out to the home apiary and just stand there amongst the bees for ten minutes, if it gets really bad in season my 'out for lunch' sign goes up and I jump in the truck and spend a few hours at one of the out apiaries

All of mine flying like mad the last 2 days. No pollen going in that I could see, but returning bees were laden, so I presume with water. They had ample pollen stores going into winter so not worried.

He has my sympathy, I had a Devil's Coach Horse beetle in my year and had to get it removed in hospital. Not nice at all.
Always worth popping a veil on around the hives.
And what were you doing to get one of those to crawl into your ear?
Perhaps it was in your younger days....?😜

And what were you doing to get one of those to crawl into your ear?
Perhaps it was in your younger days....?😜
If only .....
Just finished an overtime shift, walked down the garden with a cool drink and didn't even get chance to sit down before it flew into my ear. The sound of it scratching around was awful, spent the rest of the day in hospital and had to go back to have it removed two days later.

If only .....
Just finished an overtime shift, walked down the garden with a cool drink and didn't even get chance to sit down before it flew into my ear. The sound of it scratching around was awful, spent the rest of the day in hospital and had to go back to have it removed two days later.
How bizarre! They’re not small critters either. Not nice at all.

Latest posts

Back