What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I combined two small colonies (each in a 144mm Langstroth), about a week ago (left queens in them, which I haven't done before and used air freshener liberally whilst combining...no newspaper at all), and checked on them today. All looking good, with the younger queen the survivor. I looked at the entrance regularly for the first few days and didn't see a single dead bee.
How do you use air freshener for combining hives? Would you mind sharing please.

A quick one second spray on the top bars of the bottom box and to the bottom bars of the top box them put them together.
The colonies should be next to each other for a few days beforehand

A quick one second spray on the top bars of the bottom box and to the bottom bars of the top box them put them together.
The colonies should be next to each other for a few days beforehand
Sounds sensible:). I didn't quite do it like that ...but the colonies had incidentally been next to each other for some time. I actually also had another colony sitting above the colony that was moved. That meant the entrance of that upper colony dropped down 144mm. I checked that entrance too for a few days and didn't see any fighting there, which surprised me a bit, as their new entrance was now where the moved colony had been. The bees adapted quickly in this instance.

8° bright and wind free .
not a bee seen .
inspection trays show evidence of cell cleansing activity !
hives hefted, heavy enough for the time of year .
I'm developing the Spring twitch!

Weighed 3 hives and approx. 18, 27 & 27lbs of stores remaining. Need to keep an eye on Hive 1 but the others seem fine.
The cherry blossom will start decorating the streets in about month and I'm getting the spring twitch as well.

Checked on the fondant two hives eaten all theirs, replace with a new pack, lovely to see some sunshine today, pouring again here this evening. Roll on spring!!

Bee jobs?

Some, yes. Need to move some hives from one side of the property to the other, and trim back a load of overhanging branches at the new position. Possibly I'd move my old bee shed too, but I might just repurpose that and stick build a new one instead. I need to get some hive repairs done and make up new hives ready for the coming season as well.

But also I have about 120m of hedge that needs some serious attention before it starts growing again, and I'm about halfway through removing a load of sycamore that choke the pond every autumn with their dropped leaves. Once that's sorted and the pond cleaned out a bit the frogs and newts might start using it more. Oh, there are around two dozen fruit trees that need pruning and a couple that have contrived to fall over that need standing up again too.

It's not that far off time to be sowing this year's peppers and chiles, either.

I think that's plenty to keep me going for the time being :)

James

Pruning hazels and bees flying around gathering pollen.. Fondants are taken slowly to my surprise.. Temps 11C in shade, but frost overnight.. Still some snow in shade. Tomorrow colder..

Some, yes. Need to move some hives from one side of the property to the other, and trim back a load of overhanging branches at the new position. Possibly I'd move my old bee shed too, but I might just repurpose that and stick build a new one instead. I need to get some hive repairs done and make up new hives ready for the coming season as well.

But also I have about 120m of hedge that needs some serious attention before it starts growing again, and I'm about halfway through removing a load of sycamore that choke the pond every autumn with their dropped leaves. Once that's sorted and the pond cleaned out a bit the frogs and newts might start using it more. Oh, there are around two dozen fruit trees that need pruning and a couple that have contrived to fall over that need standing up again too.

James
Frogs in our pond. Like centre parks on 28/2 last year. Just received seeds too.
Always loads to do in the garden, been down to Shropshire today to help a friend prune apple trees in her orchard, buds will be breaking soon down there, so glad we got it done

Attachments

• 5C40905F-BFFF-489F-AEBF-E1FFB212C788.jpeg
    5C40905F-BFFF-489F-AEBF-E1FFB212C788.jpeg
    414.9 KB · Views: 15

James
Blinking heck you'd bet shift😄 we have a huge sycamore in our garden which as you can imagine is not a favorite with the neighbours, blocking out light and dropping thousands of seeds. But I love it, the only tiny problem is when the leaves drop into the pond. I usually pull the dead out, leave piles on the side before irecycle, but a lot still sink to the bottom. A small price to pay for a magnificrnt tree🌲. The bees love it
🐝🐝🐝🐝

Recently I was talking with one beek who has to cut his beekeeping operation for roughly 150 colonies down due to illness.. You can see sadness in his eyes.. Well, that is life.. Still hasn't pass a day to don't think about him... Need to dive into boxes to ease my mind, but spring isn't near yet..

Hefted the hives today, use a hand luggage scales to lift the one side. They have insulation and fondant and the weights are:-
Bluebell 17.45 kgs
Blossom 19.00 kgs
Daisy 19.25 kgs
Rosie 19.15 kgs
🐝🐝🐝🐝

Hefted the hives today, use a hand luggage scales to lift the one side. They have insulation and fondant and the weights are:-
Bluebell 17.45 kgs
Blossom 19.00 kgs
Daisy 19.25 kgs
Rosie 19.15 kgs
🐝🐝🐝🐝
I thought for a minute these were poly hives, but then you said one side. So about the same weight as mine

I sat at home cursing that I have to mark exams for the next few hours when I want to go fix this issue... Straps earning their keep though. Other colonies loving the weather to get out and all nucs currently active on camera.Screenshot_20220201-132248_CamHi.jpg

Latest posts

Back