What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If only .....
Just finished an overtime shift, walked down the garden with a cool drink and didn't even get chance to sit down before it flew into my ear. The sound of it scratching around was awful, spent the rest of the day in hospital and had to go back to have it removed two days later.
I would have tried another hospital. You might have got your sentence reduced to one day or perhaps ten minutes

Spent a few hours cutting back the Buddleia and Brambles in front of the hives and picked up my first sting of the year as one managed to fly up my sleeve.

Every august we have gazillions of tiny froglets jumping around the hives. We have to be careful where we step.
there was a fishery just over the mountain from us which always had loads of frogspawn, we used to have a monthly all night spotlight fishing competition there, one night I was walking around to the darker side of the lake and noticed what looked light a dark long shadow on the ground, it was actually a six foot wide column of thousand and thousands of froglets migrating out of the lake into the surrounding fields

Just stood for 10 minutes or so watching all the colonies flying - nice bit of sunshine down here on the Costa del Fareham this lunchtime and they were all very busy - lots of orange coloured pollen on some very heavy pollen baskets being brought in.

I've stood and watched them thousands of times over the years but there is still an excitement at this time of the year when you know winter is just about on its way out and the bees are already building up (at least down here in mediterranean Hampshire it is) - It's too early to say they are all safely through and far too early to do much else than look on in wonder, but I really get a kick out of seeing them flying and busy.

It's that feeling you get when you get your first colony and see them flying for the first time - no matter how many colonies you have that excitement comes right back as the season starts again .... I know... sad isn't it ?
No not sad, it is the one thing that helps drag me out of the end of winter blues when days are grey and miserable watching the bees start to fly gives me the boost I need to see me through the Feb and March period, knowing that winter will soon be coming to an end! Roll on the warm days of spring and the bee chaos that follows!

Just stood for 10 minutes or so watching all the colonies flying - nice bit of sunshine down here on the Costa del Fareham this lunchtime and they were all very busy - lots of orange coloured pollen on some very heavy pollen baskets being brought in.

I've stood and watched them thousands of times over the years but there is still an excitement at this time of the year when you know winter is just about on its way out and the bees are already building up (at least down here in mediterranean Hampshire it is) - It's too early to say they are all safely through and far too early to do much else than look on in wonder, but I really get a kick out of seeing them flying and busy.

It's that feeling you get when you get your first colony and see them flying for the first time - no matter how many colonies you have that excitement comes right back as the season starts again .... I know... sad isn't it ?
Not sad at all. My OH often comes out to see where I went to (when I said I was just nipping outside to do something or other)…. 20 minutes later I’m still standing watching the hives 😍

Not sad at all. My OH often comes out to see where I went to (when I said I was just nipping outside to do something or other)…. 20 minutes later I’m still standing watching the hives 😍
Yes .... I think it's a disease or an addiction ... I can't go into the garden without a slight diversion past the apiary ... and it sort of ... draws you in. Perhaps bees have some sort of power over their keepers ?

Hoed and raked the gravel area of the apiary to deal with the thousands of seedlings sprouting through. Nice still day at 46f and surprisingly hardly any bees flying.

Latest posts

Back