What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any hard data on resistance that you know of?
I can't put my finger on any. I remember Hivemaker bemoaning on twitter how whole apiaries of mites were thriving on Amitraz
If you are a member on Beesource (useful at times) you could ask there. American beekeepers seem to be further along the line of resistance.
@Michael Palmer might chip in. He usually talks more sense than a lot of us.

I had it my head that bees consumed more stores in cold weather - using energy to keep the cluster warm.

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that during winter the bees consume least honey when the ambient temperature is around 10°C, I think because they're not flying much, but they don't have to try too hard to keep warm either. Possibly in Free's "Social Organisation of Honey Bees", though I'm not certain. Free didn't seem certain about a lot either, judging by the book.

James

Maybe we could look at SCOPS and consider which of the principles may be applicable to bees and how?
It's already suggested by NBU that's what we should be doing if using acaricides. Maybe Oxalic avoids the resistance issue?

AND rotate their treatments so that they don't use the same every year
Dani, rotation is a very valid point, that David Evans made me think differently about. So if use Apivar (or any other strip type treatment), ‘rotate’ with one sublimation or trickle with OA in Nov or Dec when broodless. Then it’s safe to repeat the use of Apivar early Sept or late Aug the following year as OA works using a different mechanism therefore zapping any mites that have evaded the previous treatment. Basically you don’t need to choose a different strip the following year.

I'm not so sure. You are using the same main hitter every year. I certainly wouldn't do that with anything but OAV.
Yes I was surprised too but that’s what he told me (just rotate with the OA in Nov / Dec) when I replied to one of his blogs about rotation. I was concerned I hadn’t rotated my main hitter (good term!).

He also went on to say as you’re saying, if you don’t use OA in winter (which some beekeepers don’t especially when so few mites are left behind) then he thinks differently & you should rotate your main treatment as it’s the last one that colony has had. It was a real ‘doink’ when he explained that to me.

I decided to clean a dead out from before Christmas because the sun was shining. I took the brood box off the floor and looking up at me forlornly was a field mouse and nest! I shooed him away and clean the floor then turn it upside down so I could stop him coming back. I replaced the box and started looking though the frames only to find Mrs mouse hiding between the frames. Dumped her and tidied it all back up. That's one mouse family that are going to be chilly tonight!

I decided to clean a dead out from before Christmas because the sun was shining. I took the brood box off the floor and looking up at me forlornly was a field mouse and nest! I shooed him away and clean the floor then turn it upside down so I could stop him coming back. I replaced the box and started looking though the frames only to find Mrs mouse hiding between the frames. Dumped her and tidied it all back up. That's one mouse family that are going to be chilly tonight!
You rotten thing!

Topped up fondant. Chastised some sheep for knocking the roof and eke off a hive. I hope they have learnt their lesson the hard way!

That's fascinating. How high are they? And how do you work on the hives? Slide them down the roof, or do you get up there with them?

Come to that, why are they up there in the first place? Lack of space elsewhere?

James
They are bait hives. They have a prime and a cast in from the wild bees at the bottom of the garden. They will be moved to the apiary in the next few weeks.
Just like to have bees in the garden for a few months. Husband goes up a ladder to inspect them.

They are bait hives. They have a prime and a cast in from the wild bees at the bottom of the garden. They will be moved to the apiary in the next few weeks.
Just like to have bees in the garden for a few months. Husband goes up a ladder to inspect them.

That's rather cool. I like that :) Well, apart from the going up ladders bit. Me and ladders, we have a sort of agreement...

James

That's great. Do you bait the hives with anything specific, or just hope that it's a space they feel is sufficiently enticing?

James

Dani, rotation is a very valid point, that David Evans made me think differently about. So if use Apivar (or any other strip type treatment), ‘rotate’ with one sublimation or trickle with OA in Nov or Dec when broodless. Then it’s safe to repeat the use of Apivar early Sept or late Aug the following year as OA works using a different mechanism therefore zapping any mites that have evaded the previous treatment. Basically you don’t need to choose a different strip the following year.

Why not just vape and nothing else...nice and simple? 🙂

Does your wild colony put out swarms that will go into bait hives that are within your garden? That’s interesting...I always thought bait hives usually needed to be at least a couple of hundred metres away from the colony that was putting out the swarm. Maybe I should set one up near/in my apiary 🤔

Latest posts

Back