What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made this box in Jan2020. May 2021 I had 2 of these hopping around the allotment

I have field-cams at my apiaries. Last spring there was a furry image right up against one at the farm. It looked a bit like 'Casper the ghost.' It turned round to reveal itself as a very young tawny owl! It must have fallen out of its nest. I'm pretty certain it was most likely was scrabbling back up when we caught it on cam.

Treated the four hives with oxalic acid vaporiser, 0-5 varroa. Do we vape again or not bother as the numbers as so low?

If there is brood that's where the varroa are. It's worrying that people are considering multi vapes at this time of year. What's happening in th autumn?
Treated the four hives with oxalic acid vaporiser, 0-5 varroa. Do we vape again or not bother as the numbers as so low?
What did you use last September.....ish?

If there is brood that's where the varroa are. It's worrying that people are considering multi vapes at this time of year. What's happening in th autumn?

What do you use in the autumn Dani? Do you the just follow it up with a single vape in Dec when there’s no brood?

Apiguard in Sept/Oct. One vape in Dec. Or should I vape early spring?

My IMPRESSION, reading various threads, is that the Autumn “API” / chemical treatments are not as reliable as properly conducted multiple vapes.
I‘m thinking it’s because the chemicals are left in the hive for so long, if they prove not to be as effective as required, it is too late to prevent the Winter bees becoming affected by varroa. Also it’s difficult to observe the effectiveness of the treatment (varroa drop) over such an extended period. You also don’t know how / if varroa tolerance of the chemicals has developed.
With vaping the results are pretty immediate and can be easily observed and further treatments can be accurately determined.
Would you agree?

My IMPRESSION, reading various threads, is that the Autumn “API” / chemical treatments are not as reliable as properly conducted multiple vapes.
I‘m thinking it’s because the chemicals are left in the hive for so long, if they prove not to be as effective as required, it is too late to prevent the Winter bees becoming affected by varroa. Also it’s difficult to observe the effectiveness of the treatment (varroa drop) over such an extended period. You also don’t know how / if varroa tolerance of the chemicals has developed.
With vaping the results are pretty immediate and can be easily observed and further treatments can be accurately determined.
Would you agree?
It’s complicated further by the fact that colonies are brooding longer and some are getting reinfested. It’s whether that extra load is bearable till the next year.

Would you agree?

I have only one season's experience over six hives using Apivar, which is notably, a synthetic compound which has some drawbacks which do not appear to attach to oxalic treatments. But I have found that by using it exactly according to instructions it has been extremely effective in controlling varroa. I didn't need to monitor varroa drop because the correct use should cause most of them to drop in any case....no follow up needed.

It's seems possible that tolerance may develop over years, but using one application per year and removing the strips at the right time, I hope to avoid this.

I'm not persuaded that using oxalic crystals is as straightforward as I would like my beekeeping to be, but I can see that it is the "direction of travel" for beekeeping judged by comments here.

I have only one season's experience over six hives using Apivar, which is notably, a synthetic compound which has some drawbacks which do not appear to attach to oxalic treatments. But I have found that by using it exactly according to instructions it has been extremely effective in controlling varroa. I didn't need to monitor varroa drop because the correct use should cause most of them to drop in any case....no follow up needed.

It's seems possible that tolerance may develop over years, but using one application per year and removing the strips at the right time, I hope to avoid this.

I'm not persuaded that using oxalic crystals is as straightforward as I would like my beekeeping to be, but I can see that it is the "direction of travel" for beekeeping judged by comments here.
I agree, and it also suits me with an out apiary too. I still use sublimation if a test shows I need to take action at any other time.

I'm doing multiple vapes now because I think I missed the broodless period that I would normally use for single trickle. With this warm weather its hard to judge when they have no brood.

Hefted hives today they were loaded with stores a few weeks ago today felt really light, Some emergency feeding required I think.The bees have been out most weeks and havent stopped this year.The only flowers around is some Gorse and my neighbours winter flowering cherry although there are couple of dandelions in flower on the lawn.

Hefted 30 hives today 12 had 2.5kgs of fondant added. Some of the double brood that went to Heather are very strong colonys covering 9 seams looking through the clear crown boards (home made)
10c and lots of mizzle around the hills.
All double nucs are brooding and one was flying collecting water.IMG_20220110_141827.jpg
IMG_20220110_110556.jpg

All mine sending out water collectors too. “Wild” bees were out in strength on the mahonia.
How are you finding your colonys are they brooding much I cleaned alot of inspection boards today and some were very clean

Some are some aren’t. I have one colony in a solid floor. They are huge and out for a poo and water at every opportunity. Dying to get a look in springtime.

Some are some aren’t. I have one colony in a solid floor. They are huge and out for a poo and water at every opportunity. Dying to get a look in springtime.
You and me both :) but for now I'm sitting on my hands

Back