What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not just vape and nothing else...nice and simple? 🙂
Because when the bees need the treatment in late august when mites are likely to be at their highest level in the colony, many colonies still have some brood. Vaping, unless you do multiple treatments, will not kill the mites in the brood, you would have to repeat at the point the brood emerges to catch them before they jump into another cell. That’s why you can read on the forum about some beekeepers doing multiple vaps. So it’s not as simple as one vap and it’s done at that time of year.

Most of my bees are not at home so putting a strip in august and taking it out 3 months later is quicker and more convenient for me vs lugging kit to my out apiary and repeating it and repeating it. The strips I use are also very effective, which is important for successful over wintering.

It’s really down to personal choice including yours. We all have different situations and different amounts of time and priorities, so choose the method that works best for you and your bees

If you want to set bait hives up this is the read.
https://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstr...ves for Honey Bees.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=yThe only thing I don't agree with is the 5m above ground! I've had swarms in bait hives from ground level to 3 m but I don't fancy collecting a bait hive from 5 m!

I found 3 metres a good height. I went to town last year and put loads of swarm traps all around the garden in varying locations and at varying heights. I had six swarms arrive (I’m sure more would have too as the scouts were still going bonkers when I took the traps down).

The best locations were in unobstructed, south facing positions about 3 metres up. Dappled afternoon sunlight also seemed best

you would have to repeat at the point the brood emerges to catch them before they jump into another cell.
I think you need to read up a bit more on varroa lifecycles, the mite has to remain 'phoretic' for three or four days before jumping into another cell. hence the second and third treatments on day 5 and 10 which makes their full brood/treatment cycle different from the bees.

Had three swarms off of bait hive on shed roof last year,All rehived but trying to think of a better way of getting them down this year as a ladder isn't the safest or easiest way.

I have had two swarms collected less than 1m above ground in bait hives.
And one 1 metre high on a steel post in our local high street!

Last edited:
Checked are they alive and added fondants since brood started.. The numbers are the same as from December.. Pretty cold and only few bees go out ( mostly toilet business I believe). Today was sunny but ground is still frozen.. Tomorrow.. hazels.. pruning..

We are in some period of day temps 3 to 7C, night minus5 to minus 1. Without snow. Mostly ground remain frozen, only where sun gets it gets temporary unfrozen. Our cats are searching for sun spots and keeping feet off the cold ground..

Added some honey supers, which was reasonably unexciting, but then heading home did a lovely midsummer bushwalk. Manuka flower filled open scrub and then through the rainforest (mid-ground in the photo) where we enjoyed dense stands of beautiful trees including leatherwoods, myrtle, sassafras and celery top pine before stopping at a cold, clear river, flanked by the best of them.

Attachments

• IMG_3999.jpeg
    IMG_3999.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29

Latest posts

Back