Weald Farm Closes!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Not sure how true this is, but a reliable source informs me, that the Environmental Agency visited Weald Farm this morning. It would appear our friend who has caused so much controversy has been ordered to destroy all of his bees.

Apparently they are "hybrids" and potentially are very dangerous. I am unsure of what exactly is meant by "hybrid"...Any suggestions?

Tracy

Not sure how true this is, but a reliable source informs me, that the Environmental Agency visited Weald Farm this morning. It would appear our friend who has caused so much controversy has been ordered to destroy all of his bees.

Apparently they are "hybrids" and potentially are very dangerous. I am unsure of what exactly is meant by "hybrid"...Any suggestions?

Tracy
New one on me .
Order to destroy is the usual up shot of AFB or very advanced EFB !.
Never heard of temperament being vectored into the equation .
Perhaps someone has invoked the nuisance laws ?

VM

A hybrid is a cross. Aberdeen Angus x Shorthorn for example is a "hybrid" and in reality the majority of bees in the UK are hybrids.

Which means to me that the story makes no sense. Time will tell.

Lucky guy ain't he just?

PH

Get ready for a mass cull of UK bee stocks then as pretty much any colony you care to look at is hybrid.

New one on me .
Order to destroy is the usual up shot of AFB or very advanced EFB !.
Never heard of temperament being vectored into the equation .
Perhaps someone has invoked the nuisance laws ?
VM
agree, could be Epping forest District Council Environmental Health department serving a nuisance notice but I would have thought it would not by by FERA ( Food and environmental research agency)

Though if he is buying in from all over the place his drone mix will be appalling and a chance that the hybrid crosses could because of the distances between the DNA grouping of the strains of bee then his open mated queens could produce bees from hell

Last edited:
If it was true and I doubt it as it would be the end of most of the bees in the country.

But if it was true I wonder if it has something to do with planning consent?

If it was true and I doubt it as it would be the end of most of the bees in the country.

But if it was true I wonder if it has something to do with planning consent?

would not think so, only if it has a change in enviromnetal imapct ( slurry pit or cows shed on Site of scientific interest)

Permitted development rights are not applied to any development that, if a planning application were to be made for the development, would require an environmental assessment.

However, some types of agricultural development require no permission at all and are not affected by any requirement for environmental assessment

Section 55 of the Town & Country Planning Acts 1990 provides that:

"the use of land for the purpose of agriculture or forestry (including afforestation) and the use for any of those purposes of any building occupied together with the land so used" does not constitute "development".

Development is not therefore involved in the following cases (the list is not exhaustive):-

Changes of use within agriculture. A barn used for machinery could be used for housing animals or feedstuffs etc. Arable land could be changed for use as animal grazing. A building could become a farm shop, but only where it is selling produce from the farm and remains ancillary to the primary use of the land and buildings for agricultural purposes.
Changes of use from non-agricultural to agricultural use. It is possible to change the use of any land to an agricultural use without requiring planning permission. Land also includes buildings. A reversion to the previous non-agricultural use some time later would, however, then require planning permission for the change of use.
Placing structures on land. Structures may be placed on agricultural land for agricultural purposes without the necessity for obtaining planning permission. However, no building or engineering works must be involved. So a new barn will require permission (see later) but pig arcs, beehives or cattle feeders etc do not

My understanding of hybrid is a straight cross, as opposed to 'mongrel', which could contain a variety of crosses.
eg: cross x AMM, cross x cross, etc.
Supposedly, the first out cross results in some bad cases, whereas with a true melting pot, the results are less predictable.
Whether this is the case is anyone's guess but I'd expect an order like that only after some complaints.

website is still open for business

Not sure how true this is

Nevermind the 'hybrid' debate. This is only a strong rumour. Until we know for certain, this thread opener is best left severely alone.

RAB

Agreed..

Locked until further notice(Well,until it substantiated) ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back