this might sound silly part 2

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Change the law to prohibit intoxication in public places... and in charge of (insert list), but omit the specification of substance.
So you can only be mildly off your head in the street, considerably more if on your own in private, less so if in charge of minors etc... Not at all driving.

Legalise and regulate all intoxicating substances so that:
they are unadulterated,
sold with adequate heath warnings to those who can exercise responsible restraint, and relatively but not inordinately expensive.

This supresses demand not supply

Tickles me when people whitter on about how legalising the stuff works in the netherlands. Well, not really - they still have cannabis smugglers there, I know, I caught a few (trying to take the stuff to Holland - nowhere else) wherever there's a profit to be made they'll carry on. look at how many cigarette smugglers are sat in UK jails!
Even the Dutch are considering now whether what they did was wise - just a bit difficult to wind the clock back.

Change the law to prohibit intoxication in public places... and in charge of (insert list), but omit the specification of substance.
So you can only be mildly off your head in the street, considerably more if on your own in private, less so if in charge of minors etc... Not at all driving.

The laws are already there .. this week I've seen people arrested for 'Drunk in charge of a child', 'Drunk in charge of a horse' and 'Drunk whilst in charge of a mechanically propelled vehicle' (a tractor as it happened !) not to mention countless 'D & D'. The problem of alcohol abuse is so rife (more so amongst young people) the courts would be full of offenders if the police had the time and manpower to arrest them all ...

One of the issues is that young people, in particular, are going out for an evening having already 'warmed up' on enough booze to be inebriated before they start in the clubs and pubs.

I was no angel in my youth .. I've had my share of waking up and wondering where the hell I was .. but those episodes tended to be 'special' occasions and were not the norm. I know young people who start the weekend drinking on a Thursday night when the local student clubs do 'promotions' and are drinking more or less continually until they go to work on Monday - and this is their 'norm' ... it says something for the cost of booze compared to their disposable income ?

And I don't have any answers or solutions to the problem - I'm just an old fart who is seeing a society issue, mainly found in the younger generation, that is patently damaging to those that are involved and quite often those around them who have to pick up the pieces when it goes badly wrong.

Booze and Drugs in moderation is difficult if you are one of those people who are susceptible to their 'charms' - any recovering alcoholic or drug addict will tell you - there is only one cure - total abstention.

IMHO Moderation is the key, and unfortunately, very few can stick with moderation.
I was once very close to someone who had psychotic breakdowns, spent good time in a mental hospital, had ECT treatment, lost her children and now can barely speak in a manner that people can understand.
She could not handle moderation. I hate to say it, but sometimes people need protecting from themselves.
I do not like the idea of Jamie Olivers sugar tax, but the theory is the same. When people are faced with a potentially addictive substance, many people can't help themselves and will dive straight in.

As per the original thread, I have bees on a farm that grows Europe's largest crop of Opium Poppies (for medicinal purposes).
When first siting the hives, I did amuse myself by the thought of selling the honey at a premium price to a certain type of clientele.... unfortunately, the honey is 'normal'

Back