• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Old Beekeeping Stuff!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apismanUSA

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Wanted - Old Beekeeping stuff. I am a collector of old beekeeping paraphernalia. I am always looking for things to add to my collection that tell about different aspects of beekeeping. Such as Bee hives, books, photos, extractors, Bee Lining Boxes, Queen transport boxes, beekeeping tools, honey jars and pots, almost anything. I am currently looking for a few old Cork Hives. Thanks for your time everyone. Yours in the Bees DaveRichard Beck New Milton WV from Early 1800 Cabin.jpg This is one of my latest additions. A beehive from the late 1800's from West Virginia, USA

I have some matches from the early 1950s.

I would grab an original Flowhive... plenty going for a song on FleaBay ... will become a historic bit of kit before long..... as beekeepers move on to the next novel design ( remember the beehouse that could be hung on your 22nd floor City balcony window... did not really catch on.. but thoroughly discussed on this forum!!)

I still have a Lee WBCs in WRC still in use...probably predates the Dadants still in use at Buckfast Abbey.

One friend collects old smokers... has some really ancient ones!

Yeghes da

Last edited:
Hi, I have just come into ownership of a number of vintage Portuguese cork beehives,
And I'm just putting the feelers out for people who may be interested. I am based in England but am currently in The Portuguese mountains. I will be returning home with them where I shal place them in an antiques center but I'm more than happy to accommodate postage to anywhere in the world.
Pictures to follow.
I look forward to hearing back from anyone interested or even anyone who has info on old cork beehives. Really interesting pieces.
Thanks
Luke fisher

This worries me.

AFB eradication in cork can't be achieved by scorching or bleach, can it?

What's the prevalence of AFB there? What made these hives vacant? Even if 20 years ago it is still a spore risk.

I remind non Beekeepers that the AFB bacillus was known as a Bacillus for many years, just as anthrax still is, and for good reason.

To me AFB is the anthrax of our craft, and should be treated as such.

Sorry I'm not so clued up on been keeping terminology, but I do however know that the person I got these gives from still uses some 10 or more cork bee hives on his property to this day.

Luke, I may be interested in getting a few of them from you depending on what it will cost me. Can you send me prices and photos. What would it cost to ship them to Wooster, OH 44691 USA. Thanks for your time Luke. my direct email is [email protected]

I would grab an original Flowhive... plenty going for a song on FleaBay ... will become a historic bit of kit before long..... as beekeepers move on to the next novel design ( remember the beehouse that could be hung on your 22nd floor City balcony window... did not really catch on.. but thoroughly discussed on this forum!!)

I still have a Lee WBCs in WRC still in use...probably predates the Dadants still in use at Buckfast Abbey.

Yeghes da
Does your friend have pictures of his smoker collection??? Maybe we could share photos or sell or trade duplicate ones. My email is [email protected]. Thanks

Thanks ApismanUSA
I will ask him when I see him.... probably not until the BIPCo meeting at Llanhydrock Cornwall on Saturday 18th March!

Yeghes da

Matches?? do you mean the kind for lighting your smoker?? Please tell me more.

More often as the times were back then... to increase overwinter ventilation of the hive, by placing at the corners so as to lift the crownboard... the BBKA Basic Certificate exam module book.... Beekeeping Study Notes by J.D & B.D Yates still encourages this action for new beekeepers.

P 10 1.6.1 K)........................
may amuse you!

Yeghes da

John Yates died a year ago so unlikely his study notes will get revised to remove the matchsticks reference any time soon ! He was very knowledgeable (he won the wax chandlers prize which is no mean feat) but many other equally knowledgeable beekeepers did not agree with several of his strong opinions on how to keep bees.

Yeghes da
I have a dozen WBC hives which I made to the exact dimensions of an original. I put bees in one for a demonstration.

Before anyone says: "There are plenty of old beekeepers you can have", have you thought that the cost of posting something that big might make it prohibitive?
Yes I know postage can get expensive. I have had things shipped before and the cost is sometime reasonable, but sometimes insane. I enjoy trying to preserve beekeeping history and sharing it with others.

A I Root and The Wright Brothers first flight.

The first written account of the Wright Brothers first flight was in A I Root's Gleanings in Bee Culture Magazine. He built his beekeeping equipment factory in Medina, Ohio, which is about a half hour north of where I live.

Attachments

• A I Root Letter to Wright Bros 10th.jpg
    A I Root Letter to Wright Bros 10th.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 9
  • A I Root Letter to Wright Bros flying machine article.jpg
    A I Root Letter to Wright Bros flying machine article.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 8
  • repo-aiwplane1-l.jpg
    repo-aiwplane1-l.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 7
  • repo-aiportrait-l.jpg
    repo-aiportrait-l.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 9
Have you been to the factory and his home? I spent some time there a few years ago. I was hoping to see some sort of "collection" of old things. Nope. The family threw everything in the dumpster and it went off to the landfill. One thing there is...a complete collection of Gleanings in Bee Culture from the first issue.

Have you been to the factory and his home? I spent some time there a few years ago. I was hoping to see some sort of "collection" of old things. Nope. The family threw everything in the dumpster and it went off to the landfill. One thing there is...a complete collection of Gleanings in Bee Culture from the first issue.
Michael,
yes it is strange that they didn't save much of anything except photos which are from the Gleanings in Bee Culture archive. I worked for The Ohio State University Honey Bee Lab for 17 years and was able to have a good relationship with the Roots. They have just a few things but most things were thrown out. I had asked them to tell me when they were going to get rid of things so I could buy or have them. When they stopped making bee equipment back in the early 1990's I was able to be at the auction and got a few pieces. The best things I have are machines from the wax processing and foundation making lines. These were sold off in 2000. I have collected 100's of photos and an almost complete collection of Gleanings. L L Langstroth and A I Root were very good friends and business partners. The original Root home is still there and most of the oldest parts of the factory. The machine shop and metal working shop was torn down and the woodworking shop is where the newest warehouse and candle making building now stands. A I's original watch repair and jewelry shop is still on the town square. If you ever get this way again let me know as I would love to show you my beekeeping museum at the University and at my bee business.

Latest posts

Back