VIDEO Unique Insect: The Maltese Honey Bee

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MalteseHoneyBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
What do you know about the Maltese Honey Bee, Apis mellifera ruttneri?🐝 Its unique biodiversity?🏺 Its historical connection to the Maltese islands?⚠️ The challenges it faces?💫 Its future prospects?This production delves into these aspects and more!

A familiar story of the potential unintended consequences of hybridisation with imported bees.
Agreed.
Ironic that they care so much for an insect, but seek ways around EU law to trap wild song birds.
ED4D678A-ADA6-4704-9E0A-46D10D11FFF3.jpeg

Agreed.
Ironic that they care so much for an insect, but seek ways around EU law to trap wild song birds.
View attachment 41045
It's a bit unfair to tar these people with the same brush as people who catch birds for no other reason than the place they live. There's plenty of unsavoury things that are allowed in this or any other country for that matter. It doesn't mean that all beekeepers are guilty.

What kind of argument is that? Why are you comparing two cohorts of people? Just because someone is doing something wrong, does that mean others can't do good?
Agreed. I apologise for any insult caused.
It just really upsets me when I read of the bird trapping.

honey-bee-dna-testing.jpg

Harnessing Honey Bee Biodiversity in the Fight against Honey Fraud

At the European level, the principle of honey authenticity, based not only on local flora but also on endemic honey bee ecotypes, should be given serious consideration. This approach offers a dual safeguard in promoting sustainable honey production amidst globalisation, climate change, and other challenges: it ensures authenticity, quality, and increased valorisation by protecting against honey fraud; while also conserving the increasingly threatened biodiversity of honey bee ecotypes.

Full Article >>> https://nahlamaltija.org/2024/07/28...iodiversity-in-the-fight-against-honey-fraud/

Agreed. I apologise for any insult caused.
It just really upsets me when I read of the bird trapping.
Apology accepted. However, it was unfair to mix issues. This project involved several people who worked on it for months, including securing funding. I hope you learned something about the Maltese Honey Bee. You can read more about our work here >> https://nahlamaltija.org/

Apology accepted. However, it was unfair to mix issues. This project involved several people who worked on it for months, including securing funding. I hope you learned something about the Maltese Honey Bee. You can read more about our work here >> https://nahlamaltija.org/
They look quite like Amm - in Ireland we're currently fighting a battle similar to yours but with protecting Amm as the goal.

They look quite like Amm - in Ireland we're currently fighting a battle similar to yours but with protecting Amm as the goal.
We need to find ways to incentivise beekeepers to start rearing local bees. For example, we came up with the idea of using bee genetics as a parameter to combat honey fraud. This biomarker as an additional tool would only be possible if they rear local bees. https://nahlamaltija.org/2024/07/28...iodiversity-in-the-fight-against-honey-fraud/

Trying to transfer a honey import problem to a bee import problem is a very inefficient way of trying to solve the problem.
Furthermore, this does not solve the main problem of the fraudulent method, which consists of diluting a few kilos of native and legitimate honey in syrup drums and marketing the result.
To address the problem, legislation must prevent the mixing of honey by controlling native productions and require large distributors to provide the economic origin and all documentary evidence of what they are really selling, and penalize fraud with fines greater than the profit obtained from the fraud.

Latest posts

Back