Varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karsal

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 Pay*es Poly Hives 7 Poly Nucs
Our local bee inspector had a word of warning for all beekeepers at our meeting Sunday afternoon.
He said that the bees are becoming very active for the time of year and many have broken from their cluster and will require watching as to whether they will need feeding.
Also there is evidence that as well as the bees being active it's expected that varroa load in hives too will be high and suggested early treatment could be beneficial to colonies.

What was the inspectors reasoning for why varoaa will be higher this season?

What was the inspectors reasoning for why varoaa will be higher this season?

Some people are just infested with thoughts on varroa - they just LIVE for them and the doom and gloom and let's get on and treat the poor bloody bees whether they need it or not ...

No basis for such advice ... Just panicking people unnecessarily ...

The amount of pollen being taken in suggests that the brood nest maybe larger than usual for the time of year and the cluster in many hives has broken (evidenced from looking at the debris field on inserts under OMFs). However a future cold spell could wreak havoc if they contract back off the brood with brood on outer combs and outer parts of combs dying from cold and neglect.

However a future cold spell could wreak havoc if they contract back off the brood with brood on outer combs and outer parts of combs dying from cold and neglect.[/QUOTE

So what ! Bees will just chuck out the dead brood. Rest of nest will still be alive and kicking.
If there isn't a cold spell the colony will be ready for a bumper crop from the rape.

No basis for such advice ... Just panicking people unnecessarily ...

It's been a warmer than usual December and January. Therefore colonies will likely have either a shorter broodless period, or have been rearing more brood than usual. The consequence of both of these will be more opportunity for Varroa to reproduce as well.

It's a bit like cumulative interest ... small variations early on can result in big differences later. That's not saying it is a reason to panic, but I suspect that's the basis for the advice.

Well do a sugar roll and see rather than just chucking on a treatment.
There will be an automatic warning from the NBU to feed next. Will everybody run and drop fondant on?

Well do a sugar roll and see rather than just chucking on a treatment.
There will be an automatic warning from the NBU to feed next. Will everybody run and drop fondant on?

Yep ... SOME will .... blind stupidity leading the unthinking idiots - I'm sounding more like RAB than RAB these days !!

I'm constantly amazed at the formulaic approach some beekeepers have ... they still base their actions on their calendar rather than the bees calendar and what the bees actually need. Shoving slabs of fondant on the top of the frames 'because it's February' and the NBU will be telling us our bees will starve - and with little thought for how much stores they still have in the hive. Same with varroa treatments ... Little thought about whether they actually NEED treating ...

Shoving slabs of fondant on the top of the frames 'because it's February' and the NBU will be telling us our bees will starve - and with little thought for how much stores they still have in the hive. ...

I don't disagree about non feeding of fondant if there are stores present....but if one is not sure about the level of stores remaining then it does little harm. At worst you spend some money and at best it saves a few colonies from starvation. In some ways it's a win win bit of advice.

This might be a good chance to talk about varroa in the colonies.
Last year...amongst a fair amount of jeering at some posters who use them...there was talk about the Bee Gym. Anyway...after a while I decided to get some for my hives.
Interestingly, at the end of the summer...when I had forgotten all about them...as once they are in...that's the last you see of them...I automatically vaped my bees. We had very few drop...which I was mildly surprised about and though perhaps not enough of the vapour had reached the bees...as they were in Beehaus. Anyway....at the second Vaping...again very few varroa...and this time I used a towel wrap to ensure nothing escaped.
Hmmmm....of course, I was pleased.
Time has passed and soon we will be doing the spring inspections...I've been making a list of ..Things to Do and Things to look for. One thing on the list is Vaping.
Today...during some conversations the Bee Gym was mentioned...and I remembered that I had them in the hives. So perhaps they have made a difference after all. So part of my spring inspections will be doing a sugar roll to see exactly what the varroa load is.
Of course...there is always the possibility that the Hygienic queen I bought...and then she scarpered.....that she has spent the winter visiting all the colonies...educating them and browbeating them with her mops and buckets...lol

I do believe bees are learning to cope. I have not treated all year until Oxalic sublimation in Dec. Max 200 min, 22 in all hives. Most people seem to have had light drops this year.
If you have had a heavy drop then consider removing/dumping the first load of brood where the varroa may be heading for.

That first load of brood in spring is critical, as they are the bees that will replace the old overwintered bees. I think it would set the colony back massively at this time of year to start culling brood.

That first load of brood in spring is critical, as they are the bees that will replace the old overwintered bees. I think it would set the colony back massively at this time of year to start culling brood.
Did anybody suggest culling brood now, in February? There aren't any drone cells to cull.

Did anybody suggest culling brood now, in February? There aren't any drone cells to cull.

Didn't Heather say as much?

"If you have had a heavy drop then consider removing/dumping the first load of brood where the varroa may be heading for."

Didn't Heather say as much?

"If you have had a heavy drop then consider removing/dumping the first load of brood where the varroa may be heading for."

Oh, I see. My fault. Sorry JWF. I missed the 'First lot' or 'first load' bit -so, yes, I agree with JWF. In fact, I don't like culling at all.

I am only taking the initial 100ish bit of brood as soon as I see activity. Then they have clean slate to get cracking. Not a huge amount, but maybe enough that varroa have headed there. Plenty of brood will be evident within a week. And only done if a heavy varroa drop. I am pleased that this seems to be a thing of the past in my colonies. More hygienic queens hopefully by June.

Also just need a good patch of weather at the right time to look , and I have been in a T-shirt some days last week.

Last edited:
I'm constantly amazed at the formulaic approach some beekeepers have ... they still base their actions on their calendar rather than the bees calendar and what the bees actually need

A formulaic approach gets the beginner through his first year with bees that are still alive come spring. Get the basics right and the timing right after which you can sit down, pat yourself on the back and start thinking a bit more during your second year.

A formulaic approach gets the beginner through his first year with bees that are still alive come spring. Get the basics right and the timing right after which you can sit down, pat yourself on the back and start thinking a bit more during your second year.

I agree with Pargyle about the so-called experts giving the same advice year in year out.

But, as Eyeman said it can help a beginner that has no mentor. As said above, even if it's wrong it doesn't do any serious harm. You later just realise that sometimes the experts can and do talk utter rubbish.

Don't worry Phil, you're not (quite) that bad,,,,,,,,,,,,,, yet.:D

Yes, what is ok in the south is way too early in the north.. Go by instinct... are you wearing a T-shirt yet?. No? then leave the bees a while. Was 15 d here last week so ok to see what was going on.
This week, chilly so just topped up any I have syrup fed to allow them to work indoors on foundation.
In my opinion :cheers2:

Back