Treatment-free label

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because from your Ivory Tower you are the all seeing sayer of the North?

( Well I for one visualise you as a bit of a Gandalf character )

Yeghes da
Blast I thought he was farther xmas

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go."
Oscar Wilde

Quick question. Apologies that it relates to feeding, which is off the original topic, but hey I think jumped that shark about 3 pages ago.

It's a genuine question, not designed to antagonise, just want to know - has this paper been discussed on here ?, and if so can someone pls point me to the discussion (I searched a few key words, couldn't find it):

Impact of different feed on intestine health of honey bees
Authors
Goran Mirjanic, I Tlak-Gajger, Mica Mladenovic, Zvonimir Kozaric
Publication date
Journal
XXXXIII International Apicultural Congress, Apimondia, Kyiv, Ukraine

:thanks:

Not much to discuss. Life span of wintering bees was 12 days with acid inverted syrup. It means that bees lived 2 weeks after feeding.

In Finland bees are fed with syrup in August. They start to get willow nectar in middle of May. Perhaps earlier, but temperatures are too low to forage enough for brood rearing.

Wintering bees emerge in August-September. New bees are started to rear in April and new bees start to emerge in May.

So, bees live with winter sugar 9 months (270 days). Wintered bees die as soon as new bees emerge and old bees go to forage.

System in Finland is that bee hives do not die for syrup feeding. Syrup does not need inverting. The beekeeper must be mad if he over winter his bees with honey.

Last edited:
Ukraina's winter is quite long, and according this resesrch they cannot feed syrup to bees. Has inverting something to do with this, research does not tell.

The most significant bee mortality was found during autumn supplemental feeding with acid hydrolysed invert syrup.

My hives overwinter with invert, some summer honey and ivy they collect. The bit about brewers yeast improving their survival must refer to protein. Bees bring in their own protein as a rule.

In research longest life span was with honey, 27 days. It is under a month.

Normal summer bees live 3 + 3 weeks. Something wrong in report.

If brood are badly injured with varroa, in such cases life span is that long.

I think the research only looked at WINTER life span, but it does not say how long winter is. The 27 days is an average over 3 years of winters I think. " No other factors (number of bees in a cage, climatic conditions, etc.) had significant influence on this parameter of bee's body." Is using 48 mini laboratory cages with capacity of 150-200 bees each a realistic measure, and under controlled conditions?? Of course the study only looked at one single aspect, but it does not say what actual controls were used nor how it can conclude that no other factors had any significant influence.
It does state clearly that "....it can be concluded that feeding with honey, enzyme invert sugar syrup had a positive effect on the life span of bees, while addition of brewer's yeast and wort shortens the life of bees, so recommendation is to use supplemental feeding without them, and that the use of these supplements should be more practiced during other seasons, especially if there is no natural pollen."

I think the literature review may be more interesting than the actual study, I shall have to go and read some it more fully.

I have over wintered bees 55 years with sugar, and so do others here. I do not need scientic wintering litterature, how bees survive with sugar.

It is same with insulation. I know how it goes.

Very few country has beekeeping researching.

Last edited:
What do you mean with "winter life span". There is no such thing.
What is "bees' winter". It is autumn, winter and spring, or what?

We have long autumn 3-4 months, and no permanent snow. No flowers.

Then permanent snow 3-4 months

Then snow melts and cold spring 2-4 weeks.

Last edited:
That is one issue with this study, not enough information and definition of terms stated.
The only point as I see it was that they showed what some foods did to one part of the bee, but how they then decided it affected the life span is a mystery to me unless I missed something of course.

Latest posts

Back